Chapter I - A Spell That Went Wrong

A beautiful and sunny day once came to Camelot. Merlin was on his feet from an early morning preparing breakfast and choosing clothes for the king. He almost forgot about Arthur's armour, what would be unthinkable, because the king has to be fully ready for training. And Merlin wanted to do his duties as best as he could and with no mistake to not give Arthur any opportunity to be angry with him. Everything because Merlin has finally decided to reveal his secret to Arthur after all these years living in hiding.

They knew each other for long enough to become friends. Merlin and Arthur trusted each other with their lives, so the warlock, regardless of the possible consequences, was determined to tell him the truth. It would be a test of their friendship and Merlin had a hope that the information about him having magic won't break it.

Merlin stopped thinking about it for a moment because he was about to enter Arthur's chamber. He opened the door silently and walked slowly towards the table to put a plate with bread, cheese and ham there, and then he headed back to exit. After a few minutes, he returned with the armour. He checked once again if everything was prepared and pulled back the curtains allowing light to fall into the room.

"Rise and shine, sire!" said Merlin with a smile on his face.

Arthur squeezed his eyes shut and turned to the other side, so now Merlin faced the king's back.

"Oh no, Arthur," the warlock walked over to the king's bed and pulled on the sheets. "You have duties to do and a training to attend to so don't make my already hard work even more harder," he really wanted to behave this day like a professional servant but with Arthur as his master it couldn't be possible.

"Five more minutes, Merlin," murmured Arthur. "For this time you can prepare my armour."

"I've already done it," Merlin replied. "Everything is ready so I need you to stand up, otherwise you'll be late for training."

Arthur raised his head and looked at his servant with disbelief. "Really? You sure you didn't forget anything?"

"Your breakfast, clothes, armour, sword," he listed pointing to the items.

"I'm impressed, Merlin," the king said and started eating breakfast.

"Yeah," the warlock chuckled, making Arthur's bed. "You see, I'm not that bad."

"Not all the time," Arthur smiled but something didn't feel right. He looked up at his friend who was busy folding the sheets. "Is something wrong?" he asked.

Merlin's gaze wandered to the king. "No, why?" he frowned.

"You're… strange today. I just have a feeling that something is not all right," Arthur answered.

At the same moment sir Leon peered into the chamber and informed the king that everyone was waiting for him on the training grounds. Arthur nodded telling him he'd be there in a minute.

"Well…," Merlin sighed when the door closed behind the knight. "Actually I wanted to speak to you."

"Is it important?" Arthur asked, dressing himself quickly. "We have to go, we can talk after we finish training."

"I think it is important, yes," the warlock said with uncertainty in his voice.

"A matter of life and death?" the king put on his armour. Merlin blinked a few times and walked over to help him.

"Well, actually you can say it is a matter of life and death," the warlock replied. "For me. Because this matter concerns me."

"Ah! So not that important," Arthur smirked patting his friend on the shoulder and then headed towards the door. Merlin frowned. "Come on! You can tell me later, now we need to go."