Chapter 16.5: Yoha no Naka

Start from the beginning

The Army Chief of Staff stepped forward, hoping to defuse the heat that was starting to come to a boiling point. Fortunately for them, the Army had prepared a contingency in the event that Donnerschlag failed to achieve satisfying results.

"With all due respect, I think it's too early to conclude failure."

The councilmen looked at him with dubious eyes, their glares ever piercing and unyielding. However, their faces relaxed a bit as hints of hope for success surfaced.

"As we speak, elements of the Panzerarmee Leiforia are unloading at the ports of Leiforia and at makeshift ones our engineers had built. While the carrier task forces from both Paganda and Irnetia have moved in after securing the surrender of their respective nations, the bulk of the Army Air Service is also en route to Leiforia."

The councilmen were still unimpressed, and one of them leaned in with a skeptical look.

"So? What does more men and resources on the Mu continent entail?"

Unfazed, the Army Chief of Staff turned his back on the councilmen and walked towards the slide projector behind him. When it turned on, a light came out from the objective lens of the slide projector, casting an enlarged image of the first slide that was inserted in the slide tray onto the white wall facing the chiefs of staff and the councilmen. What was cast was a map of Leifor's remaining unsurrendered regions, known surviving Leifor Army units colored in red, and then Imperial Gra Valkan Army and Navy units colored in blue. With the attention of the councilmen firmly hooked towards the projection, the Army Chief of Staff turned to face them once more.

"I have here a plan to systematically subjugate the unsurrendered regions of Leifor by means of intelligence gathering, posturing, diplomatic pressure, and lastly, combat maneuvers

"I have here a plan to systematically subjugate the unsurrendered regions of Leifor by means of intelligence gathering, posturing, diplomatic pressure, and lastly, combat maneuvers. This is to wedge a rift in between the regional governments, sowing discord, using strongman tactics to force them to surrender, and using overwhelming airpower coupled with superior intelligence to search and destroy Leiforian forces. A complete subjugation of the entirety of Leifor can be expected in as little as a month, two if faced with drawbacks."

The councilmen were impressed and enticed. Striking their beards as they looked at one another with raised eyebrows and fulfilling expressions, they couldn't help but listen more to what the Army Chief of Staff had to say.

"Go on..."

"Meine Herren, I present to you, Unternehmen Doppelschlag."

Cent. Calendar 12/06/1639, Tokyo, Japan, 6:30

With the swift conquest and subjugation of the Kingdom of Paganda and Irnetia, coupled with the decapitation of Leiforian leadership, the entirety of the Mu continent was in turmoil, reeling from the shock of the Gra Valkan attack and subsequent victories. What once was a mysterious nation to the west that warranted little attention due to its obscurity became the center of attention overnight. The extremely quick defeat of Leifor, a nation whose power is known and recognized all throughout the known world, rang alarm bells in places as far as the Holy Mirishial Empire. The violence of Gra Valkas' rise to prominence overshadowed similar developments occurring in the far east, where the exploits of a nascent nation by the name of Japan were about to earn the ire of the local power, the Parpaldian Empire.