Chapter 13: Only One Outcome

Note: This is rose. Thanks for waiting for this one. I've read the comments on the platforms Kai is published in and me and the team would like to take this opportunity to make the following statement: don't expect Kai to be a fixed Summoning Japan or a rewrite of it and changing some parts. While it is still a fanfiction of Summoning Japan, it is no longer as simple as that. So as to not spoil anything, I can only say that the only things we kept from the original Summoning Japan are the premise (Japan getting summoned), the names of places and events (mostly), some characters, and some plotlines (Japan meeting Qua-Toyne first, etc.) and concepts (there being civilized zones). Everything else is completely overhauled to make a believable and more grounded story. That would be all. Have a rose ✿

Discord: https://discord.gg/p7NJppEjza

・・・

April 19, 2022 NOTE: This is to serve as a notice that this chapter is due for minor revisions. Any information mentioned here will soon be obsolete and I highly encourage rereading this chapter again in the future once the rewrite has been released.

Cent. Calendar 09/06/1639, off the coast of the Kingdom of Paganda, 6:30

"Ngh..."

A silent groan filled the somber, metallic room. The early morning sun shining behind the clouds only gave enough light to signal to Cielia that morning had come. Laying down on her uncomfortable bunk inside her unremarkable quarters, she stared at the ray of light coming in from the window above her bunk. She hasn't slept through the night. Other than the worries of what Pagandans may be doing to her colleagues and subordinates, the incessant sound of fireworks and fanfare being produced late into the night also kept her up. Relaying what the Pagandan officials told her yesterday morning back to the ministry, she then received a short memo that simply said, "wait for further notice." Since then, having not received any more memos from the ministry, she spent the rest of her day wandering the destroyer, observing the Pagandan landscape while coldly avoiding advances from the Navy personnel. Still, even when she stayed up late expecting a memo to come during the night, she wasn't the slightest bit disappointed when nothing came. Now that there is only an hour left until the Pagandans' deadline expires, Cielia could only assume that the Gra Valkan stance hasn't changed and that they are expecting her to convey it.

Feeling a sharp pang in her abdomen, she decided to go and eat breakfast. After getting up from the bunk, she went to the sink, turned on the faucet, and filled her hands with cold water before jerking it upwards and splashing it on her face. Getting rid of gunk, sweat, and accumulated fluids on her face with her hands, she proceeded to wash her face again to rinse them off. Turning off the faucet, she looked up towards the water-splattered mirror and saw her sleep-deprived eyes devoid of cheerfulness and determination. Looking at her eye bags, it felt as if they had sunk even deeper than her spirit.

Oh, Papa... I'm sorry your little girl has become so... dead...

Remembering how her Papa optimistically remarked that she would conquer the world with her wit, smile, and glare, her cheeks warmed up as she blushed in embarrassment after that moment flashed in her head. She then took a towel and dried her face and hands with it before moving to take her morning clothes off. Feeling the chilly morning air on her bare skin, she moved to immediately put on her formal, diplomatic attire that was hanging on the door. As she buttoned the last button and patted down the last creases, she proceeded to tie her hair in a bun.

So that I don't have to worry much about hairdo...

Finishing the bun, she then took her folded glasses on the table. As she reached out for them, she noticed a piece of silver neckwear straddled messily next to them. Looking closer, she recognized the pearl attached loosely to a worn-out chain-her mother's necklace. Putting on her glasses, she then took the necklace and maneuvered her hands behind her neck to fasten the clasp on the necklace. As she did this, her eyes drifted to the mirror above the sink, seeing herself and recognizing that something was missing. Managing to fasten the clasp on the necklace, it then occurred to her.