Chapter 12: Amboss Tropfen

Note: This is rose. Thanks for waiting for this one. It's been a blast writing through this one. Next chapter would be an ultra short one (a 0.5) and should be out within this week. Have a rose ✿

・・・

April 19, 2022 NOTE: This is to serve as a notice that this chapter is due for minor revisions. Any information mentioned here will soon be obsolete and I highly encourage rereading this chapter again in the future once the rewrite has been released.

Cent. Calendar 08/06/1639, high above Paganda, 23:55

Just before midnight, a lone Zs-635 transport plane of the Imperial Gra Valkas Army (IGVA) flew eastward at the height of 30,000ft. The IGVA woodland camouflage could be seen as light from the two moons reflected off the transport plane, but from a distance, the plane nor its features, paint, or even roundel could be seen from afar. High above the clouds, the only thing that gave off the light to the otherwise dark, serene environment besides the lights coming from the cockpit and the moons were the lights emanating from the Pagandan capital. Drowning out the two turboprop engines of the Zs-635 were the incessant booms of fireworks coming from below, showing that despite it being late at night, the festivities of the National Day are still in full swing.

After months of signals intelligence (SIGINT), the Gra Valkans learned that the Pagandans did not operate any sort of radar. After the intelligence-sharing agreements between the governments of Gra Valkas and Mu, they learned from the Muish that the Pagandans resorted to mostly visual sightings from their hundreds of coastal batteries and observation posts. As for their wyvern force, they were only sent out when enemies or potential enemies were spotted beforehand and were hardly sent out on patrols. To the pro-martial conspirators' delight, the Pagandan military participated in the National Day festivities, drawing a huge percentage of their force to the celebration. With the one-day deadline that the Pagandans gave, the Gra Valkan military command decided that sending in a unit via air was the quickest and most efficient method.

Inside the belly of the aircraft, 35 Kommandos of the IGVA's elite Kommandokompanie (KMK) unit sat along the two rows of seats that lined the sides of the aircraft interior. The majority of them wore their iconic black assault suits underneath their custom-made body armor while balaclavas and ballistic helmets donned their heads. All of them came equipped with headsets and built-in microphones. For this operation, they were split into six Arbeitsgruppe (teams): Anton, Berta, Caesar, Dora, Emil, and Fritz. Anton would maintain oversight of the Pagandan MP compound and handle the diversions, while Berta, Caesar, Dora, and Emil would be the ones that would break into the compound and rescue the diplomats. Fritz would stay behind as a reserve.

As the clock inched closer to the drop point, Stabsfeldwebel Roland Nadler took the opportunity to address the men.

"Gentlemen."

After a slight pause, Roland continued.

"Today... Nein... Tomorrow-In 5 minutes, we will be making history as the first unit in all of Gra Valkas to go into real combat in this world, Asherah..."

Roland then felt a hand land on his left shoulder. Looking in that direction, he saw the eyes of KMK commanding officer Oberstleutnant Dominik Hippel, who was already wearing his goggles, looking at him with an expression that said, "keep it short." Acknowledging his commanding officer, Roland proceeded to end his short-lived speech as he put on his goggles.

"Remember your training, men! We have to come back from this mission to face that arschloch Schmidt in the GD and shove his precious 'intel' up his arsch!"

Ending it on a high note, Roland then proceeded to put on his oxygen mask and check his altimeter, two chutes, and the rest of his equipment one last time. As the hands on the clock struck midnight, the Central Calendar flipped over to the 9th day of Month 6 while the Zs-635 neared the drop point. Consequently, the cargo bay door at the end of the aircraft opened. The first to stand was Hippel, followed by Roland and the rest of the 33 Kommandos. They all faced towards the open bay door and ultimately the pitch-black void that awaited them at the end.