Chapter 10 - Up

There she was again, her gun at the ready, pointing at the guards coming their way and covering for the rest of her friends while Kyle from the Right Arm stood just beside her. The two of them stood a few meters ahead of the wagon while Thomas and Vince climbed up on it and locked the chains up on the edges of it, just waiting for the rest of their team to arrive with the Berg as promised. Meanwhile, Newt and Peter - also from the Right Arm - worked on separating the wagon from the rails so that, as planned, they could all take it away and rescue the kids from WCKD.

"Newt, how you doing?" Thomas yelled from his spot at the top of the wagon as his friend kept his eyes on the solder in his hands as he worked on the metal locks.

"Don't rush me." He said, his voice lower than Thomas' but still very much clear.

Selena took a second to look over her shoulder toward Newt, almost sighing in relief when she noticed he was already halfway done. But looking forward again, she groaned when she noticed the guards getting closer and closer now that the train had stopped moving.

"Yeah, well, a little faster would be great, Newt!" She yelled back at the blonde as he groaned back at her.

"I said don't rush me." He called back to her and, in any other circumstance, she would have laughed, but considering the WCKD men were already shooting at them, she didn't really have the time for it. "Yeah, shit, sorry!"

Selena rolled her eyes at him then, but said nothing, pulling out her gun again and shooting back at the guards. She could see at least ten of them and she was very concerned for their safety. If the men got too close, they'd be done for, considering they had twice the number they did - and much more covered and protected than a few runaway kids like themselves could even dream of being. Still, she kept herself steady, ignoring the buzzing in her ear and the throbbing in her knee every time a bullet was fired her way and the memory of the shot she took a while ago replayed in her mind.

"They're too many, Selena." Kyle said and, as much as that was a very obvious observation, Selena shrugged.

"We need to buy them more time." She said, taking another shot and smirking a little when one of the guards fell to the ground with a grunt and a bullet now inside his shoulder. "Just enough for the wagon to be ready."

Kyle didn't seem all too keen on covering for the rest of them, but considering it had been Vince himself the one to assign him this position, the man decided not to argue. Kyle and Selena were doing a fine job at keeping the guards busy, but, from the back of their formation, one of them decided to try and shoot down Thomas and Vince from the top of the wagon. His bullet hit the metal, though the noise was enough to alert Thomas, who was quick to drop on his stomach to make himself a smaller target while pulling out his own gun.

"Shit..." He mumbled, aiming at the guards as well, and taking his shot from over Kyle and Selena's heads.

"Thomas?" The girl called out, wanting to make sure her friend was alright.

"I'm fine." He yelled back at her, his brows furrowing with worry when he noticed the way Selena was starting to grow a little overwhelmed with the proximity of the guards. So, turning to look at Vince, Thomas nodded over at her. "Get her up here."

And it took Vince one look at Selena's shaky hands for him to understand what Thomas wanted. Besides, not only had she been a vital part of executing their plan, she had also been one of the ones to risk her neck the most, following Thomas closely in this practically suicide mission.

"I got it." Vince nodded then, climbing down from the wagon and rushing over to where Selena and Kyle were with his gun at the ready. "Fall back, Sel. You're good."