Chapter 2 - Serum

Aris and the boys had introduced themselves. It was a good thing Selena had always been good with names, having been the one to introduce every single new greenie that came up that box to the Sposh and to each other. So it had been easy for her to remember all of their names. The older man was called Jorge and he was always around one of the girls, the one named Brenda. Selena wasn't sure if it was because they knew each other better or if it was just because the girl Brenda tended to always be left behind, walking slower than the rest of the group. The other ones, as Aris had said, came all from the same maze: Newt, Minho, Frypan, Teresa. And then there was Thomas, the brunette boy. The one who had almost blown off half of the Right Arm's forces a few hours before. The one who asked the most questions. The one who marveled the most over everything and anything Selena and the girl told them or showed them about the Right Arm. But, in a way, Selena couldn't blame him, she could see some of herself in him, somehow - she had been just as amazed with the Right Arm as Thomas seemed to be and, when they had taken her in, she had had quite a lot of questions herself. He was just a lot more vocal about them than she had been back then.

"They've been planning this for over a year now." Harriet said, as she and the girls guided Aris and the rest of his travelling group further into their camp after their rather long trip from the ambush where they had explained pretty much everything there was to be known about the Right Arm to the new kids. "This is all for us."

"You guys are lucky you found us when you did. We're moving out at first light." Sonya nodded, adding to her girlfriend's words before turning around to look at one of the workers from the Arm that was passing by with some food. "Where's Vince?"

"Somewhere over there, I think." The man said, nodding toward one of the tents nearby as Sonya mumbled a thank you to him.

"Who's Vince?" Thomas asked, as Selena smiled a little, amused by his never faltering curiosity.

"He's the one who decides if you get to stay." She shrugged, causing Thomas to frown.

"I thought the Right Arm was supposed to be an army." He said and, at his words, Selena opened her mouth to speak, but, before she could, a new voice cut through the air.

"Yeah, we were." Vince said, coming out of his tent and walking straight toward the group that gathered behind Selena, Harriet and Sonya for extra protection against what they could only assume to be the leader of this whole compound. "This is all that's left of us. Lots of good people died getting us this far."

After that, there was silence, no one really daring to speak, unsure how to respond to that. Noticing the atmosphere around them, Vince sighed, taking a second to look over the new group behind the girls before letting his eyes fall on Selena instead.

"Who are they?" He asked.

"They're Immunes." Selena explained, starting to gather her hair to pull it all up in a hasty ponytail. "The ones Marcus warned us about? We caught 'em coming up the mountain."

"Did you check 'em?" Vince asked and, when Selena hesitated, Harriet spoke up.

"We know this guy. Aris." She said, pointing over at Aris. "We trust him."

"Well, I don't." Vince mumbled. "Check 'em."

And, at his words, some of the men around Vince started to move toward the new incomers, ready to check them all out to see if they were immunes as they claimed to be or not. Before they could, however, one of Vince's most trusted man, Kyle, frowned when he took a second look at Brenda.

"Hey, boss..." He called, causing Vince to turn around and look at him.

Vince was about to ask what was happening and Selena couldn't deny she was curious as well, but, before Kyle could even say anything else, the one to answer Selena's question had been Brenda herself. Selena gasped, stumbling forward a little when Brenda - who had been, apparently, standing behind Selena this whole time -, fell to the ground face first.