Chapter 8 - Revenge

A/N: This is the lqst part of the first act of this story! As always, I hope you've been enjoying it! As for the next part, I will probably start posting it next month! As for now, please let me know what you're thinking of the story!

Thomas found that, for the moment, he didn't mind being left alone. In fact, he was almost grateful that no one had really come to talk to him after everything that had gone down just a few hours before. After WCKD had left with Minho and about 50 other kids, leaving behind nothing but destruction in their path, Thomas had spent the rest of his night and most of his morning keeping a close eye on Selena. The girl hadn't woken up since she blacked out from all the blood she had lost and even though Vince and some other girl from her maze that hadn't been taken and used to take care of the medical stuff there had done their best to pull out the bullet from Selena's knee and stitch her up, she still hadn't show any signs of getting better.

"She feels warm." Thomas had commented at some point, pressing a hand to Selena's forehead as she laid on the ground, over a blanket since they didn't have a medical tent anymore. "I'm pretty sure she has a fever."

"That's a good sign." Vince had responded then, looking over at Thomas with a tired smile when the boy raised an eyebrow at him. "It means her body is fighting off any infections she might be having right now. It means she's fighting back. It means she still wants to survive for some reason."

"So what do we do now?" Thomas asked, turning to look at Selena's friend - Polly, he thought she was called - as the girl started to put away all the gaze and thread that she had been using to care for Selena.

"Wait." Polly shrugged, standing up from the ground with Vince before looking down at Selena with nothing but worry in her eyes and sighing. Reaching back inside her medical bag, Polly pulled out what Thomas could only assume was a clean towel. "You can wet this and place it in her forehead to try and help with the fever. But, other than that, there's not much else we can do."

"Okay." Thomas nodded then, smiling up at Polly and grabbing the towel from her hands. "Thank you."

"Of course." She nodded back at him, her eyes leaving Thomas to fall on Selena again. "She's done far too much for us already. It's high time we start paying back."

"Hey, Polly!" Harriet's voice sounded from somewhere to their right, causing the blonde girl to whip her head around to face her other friend - the one that hadn't had a single physical wound during the attack but that, they all knew, was carrying a heavy pain in her heart now that her girlfriend had been taken from her. "Come take a look at this, please?"

"On my way!" Polly called back before turning back around to look at Selena again and then at Thomas. "Keep an eye on her for as long as you can and if you need to leave, just make sure to leave someone else to watch her instead."

"I'm not really planning on leaving." Thomas said and he was almost surprised by his own words.

After all, in a way, he knew he meant them. Ever since Selena had passed out, Thomas had been suddenly hit with a wave of protectiveness toward the girl and, even when Polly and Vince asked him to step back for a moment to take a better look at her wound, Thomas had stuck around, watching the two of them work like a hawk, making sure Selena was in good hands. And even after they were done... He had sat down beside Selena and not once had he felt the need to leave, so why would he now? He'd wait for her to wake up, for as long as he needed to and, even though he already knew that, hearing himself saying it out loud and without a second of hesitation still felt kind of weird to him somehow. Even more when Polly's expression shifted from surprise to a soft smile as she nodded.

"Okay, well, that's good then." She decided, with a shrug of her shoulders. "Just, hum... If she needs anything, just call out to me and I'll come take a look at her, okay?"