Prologue: Your Average Hero

Hello, I'm Y/N.

I'm just your average 18-year-old teenager under an average education looking for an average job in the future.

Average as all things should be.

I always disliked people that dream about being movie stars and whatnot, I just find it cliche.

There's nothing wrong with living an average life and staying away from crowds.

Currently, I'm walking home to my average apartment after doing my average weekly grocery shop and purchasing average things.

This has been my routine since I've been trying to finish up school, my parents who passed away last year gave me a lot of money.

My probate was very fortunate for me, even though I didn't know my parents or care about them.

I've been living alone since I was 16, I know that isn't exactly average but it's not like anyone is gonna do anything about it.

Besides, I'm 18 now.

And about the living alone thing, I ran away from home when I was 15. My grandma took me in after I ran to her house, she knew my parents were deadbeats.

When I turned 16, my grandma gave me a financial boost after I had convinced her to let me live alone, and that's when I strived to live an average life.

By the time I was 17, my parents were already dead.

I smile while walking across a street while also holding my groceries, I couldn't wait to get to my average apartment.

My apartment is very comforting, and I'd honestly live in it forever.

Nice and secluded, but also spacious.

To me at least.

I fully cross the street and walk down the alleyway I always walkthrough.

This part of town wasn't exactly average, but it was the fastest way home.

I groan thinking about how I have school tomorrow.

Great, I just had to ruin my mood.

My grades are fine, I just don't like talking to people.

Walking through the alleyway, I spot the occasional homeless couple having sex and trading STDs like Pokémon cards.

And I also hear rats and things of the sort scurrying away due to my footsteps.

This isn't average, but it's average to me.

I don't have a car, but I always preferred walking.

Once I exit the alleyway, I'd have to cross another street, go up a block, then make a right and I'll be at my complex.

The store wasn't that far, but it was a decent walk.

I make it out of the alleyway and easily cross the street.

There weren't that many cars because it was kind of late.

The subject of time prompts me to grab my phone and check it.

10:38 PM

"I'm making good time, I'll be there by 11."

After crossing the street, I look down the final alleyway that always existed at the block I was supposed to walk up.

But when I looked there, I saw something that terrified me.

???: "Somebody help me! Please!"

My eyes land on a petite girl, her eyes bloodshot red. Her hair was a dark blue but was messy like she had just gotten in a fight.