My Baby (Shadaze)

*Beep Beep* *Beep Beep* *Beep*

I reached over and hit the alarm button over on the side of my bed. I groaned as I stood up and got out of bed to head into the kitchen. I made myself a cup of coffee and looked over at the time. It was 5:30 in the morning. I sighed and got myself ready to head to work at G.U.N for the day. I tried my best to reflect on everything I had to face for that day. It was finally around six in the morning and I fixed up a final cup of coffee to go.

My ear flicked and I glanced behind me to see my beautiful fiance walk out in front of me. Her tail flicked in my face and I chuckled. "Well, hello beautiful." I smiled, taking her into my arms. She purred and held onto me. "You're up so early." I noted. "I know I know! But, your baby was kicking me. I couldn't sleep!" she giggled. I kissed her, also putting my hand on her bump. I felt a little kick coming from her. "Blaze, you need to rest. You're so close." I told her.

"Babe, I'm fine! I needed to stretch out. Plus I'm not due for another two days! You, however, still need to get that leave of absence. We need you!" she pleaded. I kissed her head and I kissed her bump. "Don't worry, I'm gonna talk about it with the sergeant when I get there. Just... please stay safe. Call me if you need anything! I promise I'll pick up. And keep my kid warm." I pleaded. Blaze rolled her eyes and looked at me passionately. "Shadow... relax! I've got it covered. We'll be fine!" she promised.

On that note, I decided it was time to head out for work. "I love you, Blaze. Stay safe." I urged and headed out the door. "Love you too Shadow." I rode away and headed to G.U.N headquarters. I was curious to know what Rouge was going to send me home with. When I got there, I had to go through a small search of my things but then I was clear to go through. Inside the headquarters was already crowded with all sorts of people. Suddenly I felt two hands gently hit me from behind.

"Guess who!" I heard the voice cheer. I chuckled and turned around. "Rouge?" I chuckled seeing her. "How's my niece?" she asked. "Still cooking as always. Blaze was up early just to see me off. I wish she would rest more. She's so close." I sighed. Rouge noticed my behavior and smiled. "Your dad instincts kicking in?" she asked. "I mean... I guess. I don't know Rouge. I don't even know what I'm doing!" I cried rubbing my head.

She patted my back trying to comfort me. "It'll be okay... I promise. But if anything, you need to ask the sergeant for a leave!" she urged. "I know I know. I plan to talk to him today." I said. "Well, are you worried... About him saying no?" I sighed and ruffled my quills. "Even if he does say no, I'm going to spend time with my fiance and my kid. Even he can't stop me." I declared. Rouge seemed worried but nodded her head anyway. "Okay hun, I wish you luck honestly."

With that, we went to work which was consisted of coding and paperwork. Around one I worked up the nerve to head to the sergeant's office. His door was closed but I was scared to even knock. Deep breaths Shadow... Deep Breaths. Blaze is counting on you... I reached into my pocket and pulled out a picture of Blaze's sonogram. There is was a picture of my baby at the one-month mark. I couldn't believe another month has gone by so fast. I carried it wherever I went now as good luck.

Now I knocked. "Come in." a calm voice replied. I walked inside to see the sergeant eating his late lunch. "Good afternoon sergeant. I hope I'm not disrupting anything. I need to talk about something important." he stated. The sergeant looked up at me curiously. "Ah, Shadow. I was wondering when you would stop by," he began. "How can I help you?" he asked. I sat down in the chair he had in his office.

"Well, sergeant. If anything, I'm here because of family. As you might've known from the baby shower I was given not too long back... my fiance and I are expecting our first child." I told him. He nodded. "I remember. A little girl on the way. Congrats." he said. "Yes, I'm thrilled actually. Which is why I need to ask you if I could have some leave from work? Blaze is expecting very soon. And the time will be needed to help my fiance with the baby." I explained.