Ch 9: (Mis)Understanding

Hi everyone! Please read the A/N

This is the last chapter that covers act 1. I might continue this story in the future, I would like to do so, but right now I need to take a short break. I have too many projects at work and school that I need to pay attention to. Besides, publishing a story is a bit mentally draining, I guess. I need to take a breath.

Anyway...

I don't want to spoil anything but...you may want to grab tissues for this chapter.

If you want to support me as an artist and my work, please check out my BuyMeACoffee or Liberpay:

liberapay.com/NorDragon/

buymeacoffee.com/nordragon

Enjoy!

^^^

~the night before~

Vi was sitting in Benzo's workshop basement, curled up under the wall. An ominous red hue coming from a small window was reminding her about a tragedy that happened just moments before. Her old friend was murdered and her father had been brutally attacked by a mysterious monster. Suddenly the door opened and Ekko slowly entered the chamber. He glanced at her and his lip began to tremble. She approached him quickly and they hugged tightly.

"I saw everything!" the boy sobbed "B-Benzo...They..."

Vi held him even tighter.

"Where is Vander?" the girl asked

"They took him." Ekko said, still crying.

"Have you seen where?"

"I-I think so..."

"Alright" Vi took a deep breath "Let's get out of here."

The girl was the first one to step outside, and thank god because that gave her a chance to cover Ekko's eyes just in time. 

"Ah?! What's happening?" the boy asked

"Just...keep walking...and cover your nose." Vi said jittery.

They walked past two massacred bodies. Vi felt sick to her stomach but she did her best not to throw up. Only when they were at a safe distance from the workshop, did she let Ekko uncover his eyes.

"Ekko, I'm so sorry that you had to witness all of this! I know that you're probably scared" Vi kneeled in front of the boy "But I NEED you to be brave and show me where they took Vander."

Ekko wiped his face with his sleeve and nodded.

"Alright! I'll go get help and you find their location."

"I'll do my best!" the boy managed to calm down.

"Be careful! And remember...I'm proud of you!"

^^^

Violet, still in shock, dashed to the tavern. She had another heartbreaking moment while forcing Powder to stay but eventually she, Claggor, and Mylo set off to the docks.

"We should get (y/n)! She would be a great help." Mylo suggested

Vi felt a huge lump in her throat hearing that name. She wanted to make up an excuse not to get the girl involved but when Claggor supported the idea, she had no choice.

"I'll get her. You two try to find Ekko." the girl ordered.

When they went separate ways, she hit her head against the wall from frustration.

"It should've been me! Me and only me! Nobody else should get hurt!" she said through her teeth and felt hot tears running down her cheeks. 

'The enforcer is dead." she thought, continuing her walk 'Benzo is dead. Vander had been kidnapped by some abomination...and I'm pulling even more people into this crap! Great idea, Vi! How many more dead bodies would you like to see today, huh?!'