Chapter 9: Hunter-Assassin Regiment

Start from the beginning

I nodded my head. "Alright then, tomorrow I'll talk to you and Klayden." With that, he heads to bed.

The candles on the post were being blown out one by one, until the only illumination left was, the light coming from the lantern. Since I was the last to get into bed I would have to take it down. I grabbed the pole and took it off the hooked chain effortlessly. I held the lantern up and opened the hatch; it felt a little hot, with one blow the entire room was engulfed in darkness.

Next day...

I awoke to the recruits still sleeping, I sat at the edge of my bed with my arms clasped letting the sleepiness go away. I got up and looked to where Roger was sleeping; he wasn't there. I opened the door, and the beautiful morning sun that hit my face almost sent by back to sleep. I was hungry but breakfast wouldn't be served in the mess hall for another hour. I wanted to talk to Roger and Klayden, so I set out to find them.

While walking along with the outer ward, I was coming to the blacksmith's workspace. He was striking a piece of armor the clangs made my ears ring. " Good morning!" I shouted so he could hear me over the clanging. He furrowed his eyebrows and looked at me. "Oh! Good morning son," He said while waving at me with the hammer in his hand. I nodded.

"Thanks!" He nodded and continued striking the armor.

The sun was now high and fully illuminated everything in its bright light, I was now approaching a shed that was littered with hay at the front, and to my surprise, Roger and Klayden were talking in front of the shed. They turned their heads realizing I was approaching.

"What are you guys doing out here?" I asked.

I went out looking for this rascal! Roger said while pointing at Klayden, I had a surprised look on my face.

"You slept in the shed!?" I asked surprised.

"Yeah! I'm surprised you're surprised," he said. We all laughed loudly, the knight that was passing gave us an annoyed look.

"Can't you see it's early morn, be quiet!" The knight said.

"Sorry, sir!" We all shouted, he grunted and walked away.

"Anyway, are you ok now cause last night you had a little temper tantrum?"

"Yeah, I'm fine that other kid just pissed me off. Oh! That reminds me, how did the talk with the council go?"

"I was just about to talk to you guys about it. Well, only one of the council members was there– a woman."

Roger and Klayden looked at each other a smile on their faces. " Was she pretty? how old was she?" Klayden asked.

"Pretty! Pretty is an understatement; she was beautiful and guess what."

"What?" Klayden and Roger asked. She held me in her embrace and her chest was  pressed  against me."

"Is that all? I was with older women before I turned seventeen."

Roger and I had a surprised look on our faces. "With your mother, you mean!" Roger said jokingly.

"What! Of course not I mean with other  women!" Roger and I chuckled. "Anyway! I'm starving." Klayden said.

We made our way to the mess hall in the distance we could hear the chatter and laughter of the knights. As we passed the blacksmith, we could see the recruits walking in the mess hall. We reached the door and in front of us was the lad Klayden beat out of anger, his face was cleaned up but underneath his eyes were black and blue. His nose had a tiny scar.

He looked at Klayden angrily and walked inside the hall with a crinkle of his nose. We exchanged looks and entered the mess hall. There was chatter but not so loud as to drown out your voice. At the back were the trainee's tables; the rest of the room was lined up with tables where knights laughed and ate breakfast.