p r o l o g u e

The crowd cheers around her, and Rou Salerno downs another shot of God knows what into her system. Her surrounding looks a little blurry, but that never hurts.

What will hurt is how her mother will react if she knows that her daughter was out at two in the night and drinking her head off. But that's a worry for later.

"And that's six!" Rou hears a voice well over the screaming of the crowd. She can even hear Axel River's grin in his voice. "And that's also a tie."

Rou looks at the girl in front of her, blonde hair in a ponytail and eyes the same shade of blue as hers. The girl grins.

"I didn't win," Riva King slurs, "but you didn't either. Now it's my turn."

"Sure," Rou shrugs. With a dizzy nod, she unties her brown hair, moves her head as if getting rid of water after a swim, and reties the soft curls.

Five more hours, Rou thinks. Eight more hours until her mother will be home, and one more hour after that and they'll be in their private jet off to India. Rou doesn't really want to go, but that's the country her God mother lives in, and at this point it has become a ritual to go there every autumn vacation.

A week? Maybe two? Or the whole month of October?

"See that person there?" Riva's voice flows in. Rou follows her best friend's gaze and looks at a lone figure standing aloof in a corner. She looks back at Riva. "What about them?"

"Get me their phone number," Riva grins that Cheshire cat grin of hers. "No, no. That's too basic. Get a hickey. And the number."

"A hickey? Does that mean-"

"Yup, exactly what you think. I'm setting you up for an one night stand."

"What if that person's a divorced man going through his mid life crisis?"

"I don't give a fuck."

"I'm just twenty-one–"

"I still don't give a fuck."

"What if that person's a seriel killer waiting for a victim-"

"No fucks given, babe," Riva drunkenly giggles. "Gooo. Just go."

With an exaggerated sigh, Rou pushes herself off the chair. Her wobbly legs feel a little hard to control, but it's okay. She moves her neck in her do loosen some muscles and tries not to roll her eyes when someone takes her seat.

Just this one dare, Rou thinks, and I go home anyway.

Keeping her eyes on the person she's supposed to go to, Rou pulls out her phone and keeps her thumbs on the power button. Two quick presses and her security will be. She normally tells them to not accompany her when she's at school or at Delara, as she is now, but backup is always better than being brutally murdered and having your body rot in some sewage pipe.

As Rou gets closer, the person's features start getting clearer. A soft blue light falls on the female - the person's a female, maybe - and there's smoke around her face. She raises her hand and takes another swig from the cigarette.

"Excuse me?" The Salerno calls out. The female looks over to Rou's direction, first with a frown and then with a brow raised.

"You're here with someone?" Rou inches closer, but not too close.

"I don't think that's any of your business," the person says, their voice dry either due to smoking or lack of interest.

"It might be," Rou shrugs, "I don't hit on people who aren't single."