𝐈 𝐚𝐦 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞

𝐑𝐚𝐯𝐞𝐧

Eight months had passed in the meantime. Eight months in which I had no contact with my family. Except with Nesta.

At the beginning it was unbelievably hard. The dull pain was a constant companion. And a constant reminder that my mate didn't want me.

Because he wanted my sister.

And as the hole in my chest grew and the emptiness spread like a poison through my body, the hatred and anger towards my younger sister grew and grew-.

The first weeks I could hardly concentrate. I cut my fingers with knives, spilled potions and ointments and could hardly sleep.

But after I got to know him, it got better.

He plugged the gaping hole inside me with his easy-going, charming manner and helped me focus on my training.

And now here I was. In the middle of a large hall full of healers.

My white dress fluttered around my curvy body, blowing gently in the rising summer sun. My golden-brown waves were braided into a gentle plait and lay at the nape of my neck.

For the whole eight months I had fought for this place and got it.

My eyes shone with joy, my skin looked healthier and I finally felt like myself. Something I hadn't done since childhood. I was happy with my life, my surroundings.

By now it was clear to me that life at the night court had cramped me. This constant confusion, the constant chivvying and caring. It had thrown me into a hole I had not known about.

And I never wanted to feel like that... ever again.

"Raven Archeron."

My name echoed through the light-filled hall, sounding like a fresh breeze brushing against my skin. Slowly but surely, I stepped forward and smiled.

Also something I had never really done with my family.

The dark-skinned healer beamed gently at me and reached out his hand for mine. Without hesitation, I placed my hand in his and a slight glow made its way between our clasped hands.

Without words, the golden band wrapped itself around our hands and then like a bracelet around my fingers, my wrist.

After the glow went out, my hand tingled and the healer nodded. "Welcome, Raven!"

And the joy that crept onto my face at his words was something that made the room glow. With a slight nod on my part, I stepped down the steps and walked through the alley of older healers.

Euphoria ran through my body and if the most important healers of the entire Dawn Court were not here, I would be jumping for air.

After a while the tingling in my hand subsided and admiringly I traced the faint golden lines that were now on my hand with my other hand.

Half an eternity later, I stepped out into the open street and said goodbye to my colleagues. The word sounded surreal. Even in my head. Colleagues.

I would work with these gifted healers from now on. Even though I still had to gain experience and my probationary period was coming up, I was looking forward to the months ahead. Not just months, but years.

Humming, I walked down the sunny streets of my home, earning smiling faces. It was no secret that every year around this day the new healers were welcomed into their midst. Most people even applauded when the new healers entered the streets.