𝐴𝑤𝑎𝑦

𝑅𝑎𝑣𝑒𝑛𝑠 𝑃𝑂𝑉

It was incredibly quiet as I looked around.

Rhysand and Cassian were looking at me as if I had just told them I was really a witch, Feyre had tears in her eyes and was shaking her head vehemently. Elain had turned away from me and the only ones seemingly supporting me were my twin and Amren.

Nesta did look like she was going to start crying at any moment, but the proud glint in her eyes lightened the heaviness on my heart a little.

The silence dragged on and on and I was getting jittery.

I was about to start to say something when I heard a soft no. Surprised, I turned to my littlest sister and looked her straight in the eye.

"How no?". My voice was hoarse and I hated myself for sounding so light. Feyre took a step forward and said, "I said no. You can't go!"

A grumble built up in my stomach and the cold warmth of my magic flowed through my body.

I pushed through my shoulders and lifted my head, then looked down at my sister, even though I was physically smaller than her.

"That wasn't a question, Feyre."

This time, however, my sister didn't seem to give in, for she pushed her shoulder through as well and was just starting to say something when I interrupted her, as I often did. I would not stay at this court just because she could not have it when I left.

"I will go, Feyre. You may be High Lady, but I still make my own decisions."

By now tears were running down her cheeks and I could feel Rhysand's magic flowing through the room. My own reacted, sending icy white rays at the shadows that had crept up to me.

A hiss sounded and I realised it hadn't been Rhysand's magic, but Azriel's shadow. My eyes darted to Azriel, but he was looking around the room, bored.

The tugging in my chest made me gasp and the faint glow grew clearer, brighter. Something strange tightened in my chest, creating a sinuous bridge. A bridge between two souls.

Mates.

That word echoed in my head over and over again. Azriel was my mate.

Hopefully I looked at him, but what he did next made my heart skip a beat and let it fall to thousands of pieces.

He looked in Elain's direction with a look of love and hope. My sister, who had found her mate but was too stupid to notice him. And at that very moment I knew what Lucien was going through and that I had to get out of here.

I had known from the beginning that it had been a mistake to let people get close. Because in hindsight, you always got hurt.

A dull ache had planted itself in my chest and seemed to gnaw at my heart.

Maybe it was best if I left. With one last look at my supposed mate, I turned on my heel and ran up the stairs as controlled as I could. At least I hoped I looked in control.

But no sooner had I reached the top and closed the door than tears began to run down my cheeks.

Sobs escaped my throat, but as quickly as possible I put my hands over my mouth. I didn't want anyone to know.

And so I sat there. I didn't know how long. Maybe minutes, maybe hours. To be honest, I didn't care either.

I was jolted out of my thoughts by a knock and startled. "Raven. It's me. Can I come in?"

Nesta's usually cold voice sounded soft and careful and that was the last straw. Without thinking, I opened the door and a moment later fell into my twin's arms.

 Without thinking, I opened the door and a moment later fell into my twin's arms

𝐴𝑧𝑟𝑖𝑒𝑙 𝑃𝑂𝑉

A tug tugged at my heart, jolting me out of my thoughts. My shadows were a mess and swirled around my shoulders.

Shaking my head, I ignored the tugging in my chest, but it got worse as the minutes passed.

Sighing softly, I looked up and at that very moment I felt a winding bridge forming between my soul and my mate's soul.

Mate. Never in my life had I dreamed of being able to experience this moment. Automatically, my gaze slid to Elain, who was looking confusedly into the room.

Hope struck me like a bolt of lightning when I realised that Elain and I could be mates. Lucien notwithstanding.

I was so focused on the gentle beauty at the end of the room that I didn't notice Raven fleeing the room.

𝑅𝑎𝑣𝑒𝑛 𝑃𝑂𝑉

𝑅𝑎𝑣𝑒𝑛 𝑃𝑂𝑉

Nesta's arms were still wrapped around me as I slowly but surely calmed down.

"What happened Raven?"

Nesta's voice was soft, as were her fingers running through my hair, calming me further. The sobs subsided and I was able to breathe normally again. Despite the weight of the mate bond that was now on my heart.

Slowly I sat up and looked at my twin. My voice was hoarse and scratchy from all the crying.

"Azriel is my mate. And he thinks it's Elain."

Towards the end, my voice broke and a hatred spread through my body. Even though I couldn't hate my sister, it still spread through my body. And without fighting, I let it eat away at me.

Nesta said nothing, but I could feel her anger. Not anger at me, but at Azriel and maybe our little sister.

It was silent for a while until Nesta rose and pulled me behind her. Confused, I drew my eyebrows together and looked at my twin.

But without looking at me, she pulled me into my wardrobe and with the words, "Come on let's pack." and started packing bags full.

I wouldn't complain about that....