The dramatic chapter that includes the horrific scene of Azalea's next mishap

"This way, Miss Potter," McGonagall said.

"Professor," squeaked Periwinkle at once, "I swear I didn't -"

"This is out of my hands, Miss Potter," said Professor McGonagall curtly. She led Periwinkle to Dumbledore's office, which was empty. Then she left, telling her to wait.

Periwinkle fiddled around with her thumbs, looking around anxiously. She found Fawkes sitting on his perch and walked over to him, relieved to see the golden fire-bird.

"Hi Fawkes," she said and he trilled softly. "How's it going?"

Fawkes looked at her, appearing to be a little sick. His eyes were dull and feathers were falling out of his tail.

Then he burst into fire.

Periwinkle shrieked in alarm and stumbled back, before remembering that phoenixes died that way. The fireball disappeared and a pile of ash remained beneath the perch.

"Periwinkle," a somber voice said.

She whirled around and found Professor Dumbledore in the doorway, Professor McGonagall beside him. She swallowed nervously.

"I- I didn't do it," she blurted out, "Honest. I just wanted to get my book from the library because while Lea was braiding my hair I remembered I'd forgotten it, and then I fell over Justin, and he was just laying there, and then Peeves-"

Dumbledore held up a hand. "I do not think it was you," he said and approached the desk. He took a seat behind it, then gazed at Periwinkle out of his clear eyes.

She breathed a sigh of relief.

Professor McGonagall stood beside the desk, her mouth a thin line.

"But I must ask you, Periwinkle, whether there is anything you'd like to tell me," he said gently. "Anything at all."

The girl swallowed. Technically, there were two things she probably should tell Dumbledore. One: the four ghosts and their warning, and two: that Azalea and her could communicate silently when Lockhart was around.

"Er-"

Professor McGonagall looked at her tensely. "Out with it, Miss Potter," she said sharply. "Have you been using your magic in ways yu should have not?"

Periwinkle quickly shook her head. "N-no," she said, "but- Lea and I sort of met four ghosts in the woods over the holidays, and then here at Hogwarts again. They kind of warned us about a monster-"

Dumbledore and McGonagall looked up alarmed. "What did they say?" said the headmaster, pressing the tips of his long fingers together.

Periwinkle bit her lip and tried to remember the words.
"Do not close your eyes to sleep," she began,
"Do not cry, do not weep.
Do not make a single sound,
Otherwise, you shall be found.
It came at night to eat, and stole,
of each of us our life and soul."
She was amazed that she had managed to recite the whole thing from memory.

The professors both looked a little perplexed. Or actually, McGonagall did. Dumbledore just stared out of the window, deep in thought.

"Why did you not mention this before?" asked McGonagall, sounding a little cross.

"I didn't think it was that important," said Periwinkle quietly. "But now, Lea and I think that this monster might be responsible for the sick students."

Dumbledore suddenly looked at the door. "I believe your sister trying to enter," he said and snapped his fingers.

They heard someone running up the steps. Then a crash. "Ow!" Azalea's muffled voice rang through the door.