Dueling

The news that another student, this time a second-year Hufflepuff, had fallen ill and was now lying as though dead in the hospital wing had spread through the entire school by Monday morning. All sick patients had hypothermia and Madam Pomfrey could be seen running through the hospital wing with thick blankets. The air was suddenly thick with rumor and suspicion, and whenever someone sneezed, that person would find himself stared at with wide eyes.

Meanwhile, hidden from the teachers, a roaring trade in talismans, amulets, and other protective devices was sweeping the school. Neville Longbottom bought a large, evil-smelling green onion, a pointed purple crystal, and a rotting newt tail before Hermione pointed out that none of those things actually worked.

Azalea and Periwinkle were very busy, thinking about their powers and the strange ghost children. They'd continued practicing their powers in the room that held the piano; one would play and the other would summon ice or fire. They had to promise Professor McGonagall that they would see her regularly to show her their progress, but except for that, they got no restrictions. Either their Head of House wasn't worried about them blowing up the school, or she just had better things to do.

Which she did. Professor McGonagall was extremely stressed with handling the paperwork considering the sick students; she barely had time to think about two strange twins. She kept an eye on them regularly, but that was all she could do for now.

A week later, a Dueling Club was offered for students above first year. It was a great opportunity to get distracted, so at eight o'clock that evening the twins, Hermione and Ron hurried back to the Great Hall. The long dining tables had vanished and a golden stage had appeared along one wall, lit by thousands of candles floating overhead. The ceiling was velvety black once more and most of the school seemed to be packed beneath it, all carrying their wands and looking excited.

"I wonder who'll be teaching us?" said Hermione as they edged into the chattering crowd. "Someone told me Flitwick was a dueling champion when he was young - maybe it'll be him."

"As long as it's not -" Azalea began, but she ended on a groan: Gilderoy Lockhart was walking onto the stage, resplendent in robes of deep plum and accompanied by none other than Snape, wearing his usual black.

Lockhart waved an arm for silence and called, "Gather round, gather round! Can everyone see me? Can you all hear me? Excellent! Now, Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this little dueling club, to train you all in case you ever need to defend yourselves as I myself have done on countless occasions - for full details, see my published works."

He published books? thought Periwinkle sarcastically, I didn't know.

Azalea, who'd heard everything, smirked.

"Let me introduce my assistant, Professor Snape," said Lockhart, flashing a wide smile. "He tells me he knows a tiny little bit about dueling himself-"

How long until Snape kills Lockhart? thought Azalea.

I give him ten minutes, replied Periwinkle.

Nah. Look at Snape's face. I say five.

You're on.

"-I don't want any of you youngsters to worry - you'll still have your Potions master when I'm through with him, never fear!"

Snape's upper lip was curling. Azalea wondered why Lockhartwas still smiling; if Snape had been looking at her like that she'd have been running as fast as she could in the opposite direction.

Lockhart and Snape turned to face each other and bowed; at least, Lockhart did, with much twirling of his hands, whereas Snape jerked his head irritably. Then they raised their wands like swords in front of them.