My Dove (I)

ON A TRAIN TO LITTLE HANGLETON, July 1943

Tom loathed the summer. He hated it with a passion so fierce he had insinuated his headmaster at Hogwarts was stupid for not allowing him to stay at school.

He shut his eyes for a moment, leaning back into his seat as the train barrelled forward.

There was something comforting about trains. That Tom could do nothing for two hours and end up exactly where he wanted to be.

There was a couple arguing somewhere in the train. He could hear them from here. Something about a second family, and a nasty divorce.

"Can I sit here?" Asked a girl, Tom opened his eyes. She looked to be about his age and moderately alarmed.

Tom couldn't stop her. The open floor plan of the economy train car prevented him from locking a door. He nodded and she sat across from him.

"Thank you so much. I don't know what I would've done if I had to go back there. You may as well have a cape." She said, looking at him.

Tom groaned inwardly and marked the place in his book.

"I'm Persephone Fields." She said.

"Tom." He replied. "Tom Riddle."

"Riddle?" He nodded. "I didn't know there was a younger one."

Tom froze. His heart felt heavy. Tom had never thought of his family beyond himself. None of them existed for any reason other than to assure he did.

"Excuse me, Miss?" He said.

"Oh you can call me Persephone."

"You know," his breath caught in his throat. "My family?"

"Everyone does. I love a town over in Brookbanks, and the Riddle's always come through flashing about their money. I don't judge of course. I would do the same thing." She was nervous, touching the pleat of her braided blonde hair.

Tom said nothing.

"Soon as I make my million, young mister Riddle," she continued. She was so nervous. Tom could hear it in her voice as she spoke. "I'm buying a million acres of land just to buy a small house and grow my own fruit. The height of luxury."

"A small house?" Said Tom. Persephone nodded. There was a gentle flush painting her cheeks.

"Covered top to bottom in diamonds of couse." Said Persephone.

"I see." Said Tom. "You, you've met my father?"

It felt surreal. To be recognized the way he had seen his classmates, for their names and nothing more.

A pretty girl was anxiously sitting across from him wanting to make a good impression. All because of his name.

Persephone shook her head. "I've seen him. I've heard about him- I'm a little surprised you're in economy with the common folk, Tom."

"I-" started Tom. He did not want to waste this. "I try to stay humble."

Persephone smiled and looked away out the window.