Promise - 19

Antonio had just managed to fall asleep when he woke up again to the familiar feeling of his jaguar licking his face. He let out a soft giggle and buried his head in Bella's shoulder. (Yes he named his jaguar beautiful in Spanish)

   "What's up Bella?" He asked. Bella purred her response back to him as his toucan Zazu landed on his should and confirmed that they knew where Mirabel was. He thought back to just weeks earlier when he had his away and Mirabel came to find him. With a smile now on his face, Antonio hopped on Bella's back as she led him to his prima.

   The trip didn't take too long and even though it was still late at night he hoped Mira would be happy to see him. Even though Antonio was only five, Mirabel had always been by his side teaching him many things making him smarter than most kids his age. She also kept him away from coffee but it's not like he needed it anyways.

   As the trio reached the entrance of the cave, Antonio knew Mira was here due to the strangely colored fire. It was a mix of white and blue and held steady even though there was no wood anywhere near it for fuel. Antonio slid off Bella's back, gave her a quick hug, and told her to wait there for him till he returned.

Even with the flames farther back from the entrance of the cave, Antonio could still feel the intensity of it all. He could tell Mirabel was quite sad and he called out her name. Mirabel's name echoed around the cave but eventually he heard the pitter of her footsteps coming towards him. She stopped just before the flames but Antonio could tell it was her.

"I thought I made it clear in my letter that my gift was a curse Antonio. Please leave I don't want you to get hurt!" Antonio heard a tremble in Mirabel's voice as she continued to beg him to leave. But he continued to stand his ground. "Mira you promised me before my gift ceremony to stay with me gift or no gift. And I promise you gift or no gift whether you think it is a curse or not to stay by your side as well. I'm not going to let you just leave Mirabel. I need you- the whole family does!"

   Mirabel's flames began to weaken and eventually completely drop as she begins to sob. Antonio runs to hug her as she frantically whispers how sorry she is over and over again. That night Antonio fails to get her to return but she promises to stay in her cave and let him visit whenever he wants as long as he keeps it a secret. Antonio knows she needs time, and with time he will prove to her that she is the most important gift of them all.