4: Socialite

Isabel Mendoza, the HBIC of our school newspaper, was more well-known for her social status in Alpha Chi Omega than her editor-in-chief title. Maybe it was a failure of society, but that didn't make it any less real. And although I wasn't in the mood to speak to her after she turned my personal business into a story to sell, I had to get my mind off of Corey somehow. Locking myself in a communications building to work on my articles wasn't exactly conducive to making friends, so my options were limited.

I wasn't exactly the type to enjoy a party under normal circumstances. It all seemed great in theory, but what was fun about hanging around strangers who didn't care about me and getting so drunk that I didn't even remember what happened when the next morning rolled around?

As I walked up the pathway to the house, decorated for Christmas even though it was only early December, the door opened before I even had the chance to step onto the front porch. Isabel stood there and waited for a moment for me to get closer. There was enough of a chilly breeze and loud Christmas music that I wouldn't have been able to hear her from too far away.

"Layla Gaudreau," Isabel said. "I thought you hated me after our conversation earlier this week."

I shook my head. "It's not your fault that you put my misery on the front page for everyone to see."

It was a little bit her fault, but she knew that.

"And he sucks, Layla," someone shouted from somewhere inside.

I peeked inside to see who it was. The house was packed full of people, none of whom were Ryan upon first glance, all dressed in Christmas outfits from ugly sweaters to complete Santa suits and the slutty feminine equivalent. I looked down at my jeans and non-festive maroon sweater.

"I wouldn't say that. He just didn't think the whole thing through—" I began, but the same girl interrupted again.

"He sucks and you don't need him, Layla."

A small smile found its way onto my face as Isabel stepped aside to let me in. I certainly knew I didn't need him, but I liked having him around usually. But as my fleeting smile disappeared, I bit my cheek. I really let the emotions of an unnecessary surprise get to me, didn't I?

"Would you just let her forget about it, Courtney? The only reason I even care about it is because it's putting stories from the Badger Herald onto people's screens," Isabel said as she shut the door behind me. It stopped the cold air from flowing inside, but a shiver went down my back anyway as I took off my coat. Loneliness was much colder than a Wisconsin December.

Courtney, who chose to go in the turnt up Christmas route with her outfit, shifted on the couch and patted the seat next to her, and I took her up on her offer and sat down next to her. One of the other offensive linemen on the football team handed her a festive red drink, and when he saw me, he turned around and walked the other way.

I assumed it was for bro code reasons and was nothing personal. He only knew me through Corey, anyway.

Courtney didn't take it personally either and turned back to me. "You're insanely pretty."

I put my hands in my lap and looked toward the door. Where was the guy who insisted that I come to the party anyway? "Thank you. You're pretty too."

I glanced over at her for a moment to make sure I wasn't lying to her. With her platinum blonde hair, petite frame, and bright eyes and smile, she was, in fact, very pretty.

She leaned in a little closer and took the ends of my straightened light brown hair in between her fingers. "Is this your natural color? It doesn't even look real."