Chapter 11

As soon as I arrive at the mall to find what I was supposed to buy two hours ago, a hand tapping on my shoulder stops me on my tracks. I turn, believing to find Jenna. Instead, much to my shock, it's Bree. I mean, even though we did make up earlier on, it doesn't mean we're friends. Things are indeed... complicated.

"H-hi, Bree... How are you?" She throws me a playful glare, scaring me a little bit, but I sigh out of relief as she grins.

"I scared you, right? Well, get used to it. This is how I act with my friends." Has she just thrown in the word 'friends' like that? It's going to take us a lot of time to be close. I mean, we used to be in poor terms...

"On the other hand, I have a gift for you," she asks. I'm surprised that she has already turned to a new leaf. Maybe she does want to be my friend, but still acts tough at school because she has a reputation to keep. She's the cheer squad's captain, while I'm an absolute nobody compared to it.

Stop pitying yourself, Cathy!

Before I can utter a single word, she hands me a sealed pink bag. She explains, "It may come in handy later on..." She keeps a mysterious aura around the gift, making me curious about what's there inside. If she has a surprise in store, I'm quite sure it's going to be a pleasant one.

"Now I have to go. See you soon!" She doesn't even give me time to say goodbye properly. Instead, she struts away in the opposite direction.

***

Alone in my room, I wonder what the bag Bree gave me contains. It's big, meaning that it could either be the biggest surprise I've ever received or a huge scam. I really hope it's not the latter.

At the same time, I feel like I wasted my time. I spent two whole hours at the mall and still didn't get a nice dress. I guess I'll have to go through Mom's wardrobe to find something, even if it'll earn me relentless mockery.

I rip open the bag without thinking twice and gasp. Bree really saved the day! The surprise turns out to be a sleeveless pink siren dress with a gorgeous lace corset. This is better than any other dress I've ever worn in my life. I can picture myself at the party, making a lasting impression. I mean, that's more than enough, considering that Marietta won't let it slide if anyone steals the show from her.

Anyway, I don't really care about hurting her ego. I have a mission, and failing is not an option.

***

Jenna is more surprised than me about Bree's gift. "The Principal's punishment really had an effect," she jokes. She stifles a laughter but then turns serious. "Okay, you look gorgeous. Maybe, with a little more glitz, you'd steal the scene."

I'm about to answer that I'm not supposed to overshadow Marietta at her own party, but choose to shut up instead. After all, I need to show some confidence, or else she'll give me every possible reason to taunt me on such a special day.

Okay, why am I judging her morally? Shouldn't I take the higher road? I guess I keep forgetting what Ashleigh told me when it comes to Marietta.

Speaking of the party girl, she joins the rest of us in the hall and wows everyone with her charms. Her pastel green gown, though simple, exudes elegance and high class. Her two lines of pearls complement her daring yet innocent looks. She takes all the scene and leaves no crumbs. No question.

"Welcome everbody. I hope you're enjoying yourselves, people," she says, flashing the grin I really hate. This time, however, tension pours out her mask of delightful appearance. She's always been able to hide emotions that don't include arrogance, self-righteousness and contempt towards me. So, why the slip up?

Even the boys stop staring at her in their usual flirty manner. There's definitely something different. Either she's taken, or simply not interested in them. As she sighs, I feel my heart heavy in my chest.

"I have to tell you something important." For some reason, her words sound obvious. When she has something big to announce, it's either trouble (for anyone but her, though) or news of some lavish event the entire school is invited, with the exception of me. Oh, come on! When will I stop wallowing for once?

"It's about this project my parents launched with the Major three years ago," she says, much to everyone else's shock. What is this project even about? She continues, not letting us speculate about it more than we can. "It consists of saving a certain place of interest in town that doesn't deserve being left in degrade. This year's choice, I believe, is harder than the last time."

I wonder why making a choice is more difficult. Maybe the places that need to be saved are more than two. Or, maybe, it's just time to accept that this small town is destined to fade away as more and more families move towns or states, or just disperse.

Marietta continues. "I'm sure you'll appreciate this project as soon as you learn about the chosen place." She picks up a handful of flyers from a box and starts passing them among the guests. Jenna notices that Harry and Cato got one copy each and nudges me as a sign to reach up to them.

I approach the two guys and ask them to hand me two, one for Jenna and one for myself. Cato snorts. "Here you are. I don't even know what this fucking project is. I hope it doesn't imply the Skate Park is shutting down."

Harry intervenes, with frustration clearly visible in his face. "No, Cato. It's to save a place that has a deep meaning to this community. Have you even paid attention when Marietta talked?" Cato shocks his head, openly admitting his focus wasn't on her words, but her dress.

Harry and I both facepalm. Cato isn't exactly the smartest type when he's around girls. Jenna chuckles, apparently amused at the awkwardness around us. This wholesome moment, anyway, lasts little as Marietta clears her throat to regain everyone's attention.

"Okay, guys, can you listen to me, just for one more moment, please? I promise, it's not taking long. Then, we're all off to party, okay?" As she mentions that, we all turn our focus back on her. She finishes, "This year's chosen place of interest is... the bookstore!"

I gasp, caught by surprise at the news. Is it official? If so, I must tell Ashleigh. That means more books—and more time for me among those shelves. I must thank Marietta for this. She might not be solely responsible for saving the store, but it doesn't matter. I have to talk to her, share my enthusiasm at this new ray of hope.

Too bad Harry has already caught up with her. The two of them seem to already engage in a heartfelt conversation. I'd better not disturb them. I reach Jenna and Cato instead. I take advantage of them standing idly to whisper in the former's era. "I think you've got something to tell him... Come on."

She gives me a weak smile. "Are you sure, Cathy?"

I nod. "Go ahead! I'll support you, whatever your choice is." As I pronounce these words, I hear Ashleigh's voice echo in my mind. My eyes fill with sorrowful tears as I think of her. What could possibly await us in the future?

But, most importantly, am I sure I can take the next step with her?

For now, all I have to do is to enjoy myself and party as if my life depends on it.