Chapter 5

The last thing I expected when Ashleigh invited me round for a coffee is that she wants to go now. I mean, I'm still in the middle of my shift. I don't want to leave her hanging, but at the same time I don't want to lose my job.

This is why Holly's intervention is a blessing in disguise. She knows better than anyone else here that I've been thinking of Ashleigh for days. I don't know if there's actual romance involved, but one thing is sure: she's not the kind of girl who backs out on her promise.

So, with my boss's permission, I can end my shift early and enjoy this special coffee "date." Not my words, of course... But, still, I hope things go as I wish.

***

As Ashleigh and I take a seat by the counter, I'm overwhelmed by the vast number of options I can choose from. I mean, there are so many types of coffee and other drinks... Plus, this variety is something you'd expect from Starbucks, so I have to say I'm pleased.

Noticing that I haven't got the faintest idea of what to pick, Ashleigh intervenes, "Do you want me to choose for you? I don't really know you, so I don't know if this is a good idea."

If I were under another circumstance, I wouldn't let her choose for me. Instead, I want to test the waters, to prove that I'm no longer a predictable, dull and uninteresting girl. This is why I leave her in shock by answering, "Surprise me."

Here we go. It's all or nothing.

***

When a waiter finally comes to attend us, I'm relieved as the wait is becoming more and more awkward. I don't know what Ashleigh wants. I don't know if she sees me more as a friend or if there's something more involved. I mean, I'm eighteen and I think I'm capable of making thoughtful decisions-that is, if mine count as such.

I know, I shouldn't ramble too much and enjoy myself more, but how can I when all I think is her possible reaction at me telling her how I truly feel?

Here we go again. More rambling. Why can't I just keep quiet for a while?

The waiter finally addresses us. "Good evening. Are you ready to order?" The name tag on her uniform says "Sara." For some reason, she vaguely looks like Holly. Same tan complexion, same small, blue eyes, same fair hair... Seriously, they look like twins...

Okay, enough playing "Find the Difference." I should focus on the order. This is why I'm glad that Ashleigh is speaking instead of me. I'm not up for a poor figure.

"Okay, I'll have a caramel macchiato for myself..." She then points at me, smiling mischievously. "Well, for my friend... She'd love a surprise."

"Well, a caramel macchiato and a surprise drink. Noted. I'll be here with your drinks in five minutes." As Sara says so, she immediately disappears in the back of the counter to take care of our drinks. I can't wait to see what the surprise is going to be.

I turn to Ashleigh. "Wow, we've just truly known each other for, a few hours, and I'm already your friend... What's up with you?" Now I sound suspicious. Did I really ask her that? This is another missed shot at keeping my mouth shut.

Fortunately for me, she answers, "Well, you seem so nice. I'm more than glad to be your friend, if not a little more." What does that mean? I don't know her very well, and yet she sounds pushy. What's the problem with you, Cathy? She's into you! Are you realizing her or what?

"Wow... That's a lot to take. I mean, I haven't really got many friends. I'm sorry if my social skills are not up to par." I blush as I apologize, feeling ashamed to be anything but outgoing. I'm sure she had different expectations on me.

"You don't need to apologize, Cathy. Seriously, I'm having a lot of fun with you." She changes subject as soon as she notices that I'm fidgeting with my hair. "Now, tell me, why did you take up that job at the bookstore?"

"Well, I've always loved books and that's the perfect place where to fuel my passion for reading and writing-" I stop as soon as I pronounce the last word. I've never told anyone about my interest in writing. It's something I've always kept from everyone, even from my mother or Jenna.

So, why am I telling Ashleigh? Oh, right, she asked me a question and I somehow have to answer.

She goes on. "You don't really strike me as a writer, though. Not based on first impressions, at least. But, hey, you don't get to judge a book by its cover, right?"

That saying is overdone, to say the least. Still, it's so true. First impressions aren't everything in life. I've been so used to detaching myself from other people that I've found nothing wrong in prejudice. I was so wrong. Ashleigh has just found my weakest point.

I guess I really need to change my mindset to everyone, including the people I truly dislike, such as Bree Abeyta. She annoys me and loves turning other people's days into Hell, but what if there's a different side of her I've never seen?

"I guess I have to thank you later on," I say. "I mean... There are these two girls at school I really dislike. They act all high and mighty and think they can do whatever they want without facing consequences. That's unfair."

"It may be unfair for you, but not for them," she points out. At first, I don't really understand what she means, so she explains, "You hate the fact that they point fingers at other people, including you, yet you engage in judgement about their morals."

I frown at her. Is she suggesting I act nice to Marietta and Bree? I wouldn't be able to utter a single word without resenting them and their attitude.

She realizes I'm not really convinced, yet she insists. "I think you should really try to understand those girls' motives. After all, they might have to endure the same dose of sufferance as you." I barely give her a glance as I'm at loss of words for what she's trying to say.

"However, if your negative impression of them is confirmed even after you approach them without ulterior motives, then you should stop engaging in fights against them." Now I'm starting to understand what she means. I don't know if she's speaking out of direct experience or just because she witnessed someone else facing a similar situation, but her wisdom at such a young age leaves me in awe.

I comment, "Wow, you seem to know exactly what your goals are and how to give sound advice. May I ask if you were in a similar situation as mine?"

Her smile is instantly replaced by a cloudy glance. Maybe I shouldn't have asked straight away. She, however, just shrugs it off. "Why don't we just enjoy our drinks?" she suggests before pointing at Sara with a tray, coming towards our direction.

I giggle. "You're right. I'm sorry. I've been a spoilsport so far."

"Don't say so, Cathy. You're not a spoilsport," she reassures. On one hand, I'm glad she thinks I'm somehow interesting. On the other one, this situation is getting more and more out of hand because I'm a bad communicator and often say the wrong thing at the wrong timing.

"Oh, and by the way, before you ask, I'm not that young. I'm twenty-two."

She's what?

I don't really think I should be here with her anymore.