Chapter 4

Although Bree's latest words scare the shit out of me, I know for sure that she can't do anything bad to Jenna or me. The Principal is waiting for the three of us, his arms crossed, to follow him to his office. Our big fight didn't exactly go unnoticed and will have consequences. I really hope this doesn't affect my shift at the bookstore.

As we enter the office, Jenna closes the door behind her and then stands between Bree and me, throwing an uncomfortable glance at me. She knows the Principal will expect her to play pacifier, but it's obvious that she's biased towards me. On the other hand, she can't just stay silent to please Bree or the Principal.

I wish I had held my tongue instead of openly facing Bree, but that'd mean more mockery from that snake and poor treatment from the rest of the student body, with half of them calling me names and probably even throwing objects at me to garner a reaction from me.

No, I'm no-one's punching bag. If they can't accept it, then it's their loss, not mine.

***

The Principal has just excused Jenna, so now Bree and I are left. This means she can say whatever she wants regardless of the consequences because, hey, she's the cheer squad captain, while I'm an absolute nobody. How can I defend myself when all she does is glaring at me in order to make me look bad?

I clear my throat and gulp. I'm ready to face detention, as long as I don't have to stay with her. I'd rather die than see her smug face nonstop for two more hours. I really hope the Principal will be more lenient this time, or else this will be the start of my doom.

"Catherine, Breanna," he says, "as you know, I don't condone school fights and won't accept anyone using phrases such as the ones you used as threats against each other." I try to protest, saying that only Bree threatened me, but just stay quiet as it won't help my case.

He continues. "Now, I should give both of you detention, but, since I don't think it'll make you any good, I've just come up with something different." What is it? I mean, it could be a trap, but at the same time I'm relieved that I don't have to spend the next three hours face to face with Bree.

"I'll give you one week to write each other an apology letter. You'll have to explain thoroughly what brought you to display such an unacceptable attitude. It's up to you whether to accept one another's apology, but I expect that you do write it and, from now on, stop putting up fight like that," he decides. That's fair enough. Hopefully Bree will understand why I don't like her and will stop treating me like shit.

"However, if I see that things between the two of you haven't changed yet, I'll have to take drastic measures. You're free to go." That said, he points at the door. Bree and I leave the office, never looking at each other and without saying a word.

This is one of the worst situation I've ever found myself stuck in.

***

It turns out today is one of those days where hardly anyone shows up at the bookstore. I don't know why the enthusiasm for books faded over the span of just twenty-four hours. I think the fact that there aren't many fantasy books in the stock doesn't really help, and other genres don't catch customers' attention as much as it does.

This is why I mostly stand idle at the counter, daydreaming and wondering whether I'll ever see that girl from two days ago again. I mean, her unique taste in books can't be overlooked. Her facial expression is so mysterious, she has mischief painted all over her face... Okay, I'm rambling and, to be honest, kind of making a fool out of myself.

I decide that those precious books can't stand on those shelves forever, so I buy a couple of sci-fi novels and place them on the counter, before turning to a colleague of mine. "Holly, do you think you can do me a favor?" I ask. "Could you count these two books as a purchase of mine? I can pay right now."

"Oh, come on, Cathy, just take them for free," she begs in response. "They've stayed unsold for so long and I don't think they deserve to keep catching more and more dust here. They'll be far safer at your place."

I appreciate that Holly basically wants to gift me those two books, but I just can't take them without paying. It's against the shop's policy; better say, it's against any shop's policy.

Holly tries to reassure me. "I will pay them for you," she offers. "Consider them as a gift from me."

I bow a little bit before replying, "Thank you so much, Holly, I owe you big time, seriously."

She smiles back at me. "You're welcome." She hands me fifteen dollars, which is how much these two books cost. Since I can't take the money for myself, I just place it in the counter. The books are just enough, and I don't want trouble with anyone.

Okay, I think I've talked too early.

The mysterious girl is back, this time with a big red and black backpack. She approaches the counter, greets Holly and then, for the first time, does talk to me. I feel like I'm in another galaxy, far away from her. Her words take me back to reality in a matter of seconds.

"Hi, I noticed you the first time we met, but I've never asked your name," she says, wondering why she never asked in first place. It shouldn't be that big of a deal—we don't even know each other, so I don't see the point in making things more complicated than they already are.

She goes on. "My name is Ashleigh Slade, by the way." Interesting. It definitely looks like a cool name. I like it, it has a nice ring to it. Okay, why am I rambling again? I should really focus!

"Mine is Cathy Hazell. Nice to meet you." My greeting, rather than welcoming, sounds cold and frazzled at the same time. I know I shouldn't really make a big deal out of it, but what if she hates me because of a poor first impression?

Fortunately, she just smiles at me. "Relax, nothing bad is going to happen. Just take a deep breath." Her advice is so sound. I wonder what brought her to have such a positive mindset. I've faced so many struggles in life so far and have been unable to talk to anyone in a proper manner without affecting them.

I do what she says and immediately feel better. I've taken too many things for granted so far. First and foremost, I need to let go of prejudice. I have to prove that, even when faced with struggles, I can overcome them without letting myself be influenced. At the same time, I have to realize that, if I want to change, I need to start from my mindset.

Right now, I'm thankful for Ashleigh coming here. If it weren't for her, I'd still be clouded by my negativity over what happened back at school. I'm ready to write that apology letter to Bree as soon as the shift is over.

That is, until Ashleigh glances once again at me, this time presenting an offer that, according to her, can't be refused. In other words, she has just invited me round for a tea.

Now how am I supposed to treat her? As an acquaintance? As a friend? As something more?

My head is spinning like my washing machine back at home.