Chapter 3

I can't really work on the project with Bree since she has rehearsal, while I have to go to the store. Working together is going to be hard, not only because of our schedule, but also for many other reasons.

One of them is her being friends to Marietta. She knows I dislike her and uses it as a way to make me look worse than the rest of the student body already see me. I know, I shouldn't really take other people's opinion as the Bible, but school is a grueling environment. You either tough it out or you're meant to sink.

No, I'm not going to sink, and my GPA isn't either. I need good grades. To have more chances to enter a good college, to please my mother and, most importantly, to prove myself right.

***

Unlike yesterday, the shop is bustling. Dozens of customers have since passed that door, either to find the newest "Editor's Pick" or just to browse around for inspiration or, more simply, just doing something.

One thing I've just noticed is that today's stock of Fantasy books is almost running out. I don't know what caused the Fantasy wave to hit the town, but it clearly works. Sales skyrocket, and so does customer satisfaction. Let's hope things stay this way—hopefully with wider stocks.

Among the others, however, I've seen no trace of the girl from yesterday. She's so recognizable. Short brown hair, tan skin, blue eyes, a large nose and thick lips. She's also quite tall, at least compared to me. How can I forget her glance at the Mystery section, or her smile at the counter, when she took advantage of that promotion that let her pay only thirty dollars for five books?

Okay, I really need to stop rambling. I have a job to do. Customers don't attend themselves.

***

At home, disappointment hits me hard. Not just for not meeting that girl again, but also because Mom isn't home. While I usually prefer staying on my own in the evening, tonight is different. I feel like I need someone to listen to me, to encourage me, to tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Okay, I have to accept reality as it is. Mom isn't going to give up on hitting the town at night with some friends to stay with me. She deserves some time for herself, and I am growing up, or this is what I think. I mean, it's never too late to grow up.

Now that I'm thinking of it, perhaps reading a book isn't that bad of an idea, right?

***

When I'm done reading my third novella for today, I realize that Mom hasn't come back home yet. On the other hand, it's already past midnight, which means that I should be in bed. Still, I don't want to go to sleep.

Oh, come on, Cathy. You have school tomorrow. You have to think of the project, as well.

That said, I make do with the fact that Mom won't find me awake when I'm back home and, dejected, go to bed.

***

School is hell today. Not only classes are more boring than usual, it really looks like time stopped. To make things even worse, Marietta feels like it's a good idea to ridicule my outfit in public. I mean, I know it's bad and outdated (I still don't understand what came in my mind when I chose to borrow Mom's beige sweater and her boots), but can't at least she keep her malicious comments for herself?

I guess I shouldn't really talk. The more I try to defend myself, the more Marietta goes on with her pathetic remarks on my style. "Darling, you're a grandma or what?" This is one of the least demeaning comments, to be fair, yet it's still offensive. Most grandmas are nice and understanding, unlike her.

Only Jenna tries to defend me, while the rest of the student body either doesn't give a damn about me or openly sides with Marietta. Especially Bree.

The latter thinks she can take advantage of the fact that we're working together on the project as if I were her slave. This explains her condescending attitude. I'm not going to let her scare me, though, not this time.

"Uh..." she comments, recoiling out of disgust. "Where did you buy that sweater? It looks like you picked it from the trash dump."

I sass back at her, not ready for the consequences. "Oh, the trash dump, you say? The same place where you found your brain, love?" Jenna snickers behind my back and I myself can't help smiling. After all, Bree is doing nothing to make amends for being an unbearable bitch.

The queen bees are furious. If they could, they'd beat me up. Still, they want to avoid detention with every means and at the same time look good to the rest of the school. Fine. After all, would it be surprising if Bree did nothing after I basically called her stupid? Absolutely yes.

In fact, the cheer captain throws water from her bottle straight at me, wetting Mom's sweater and boots. "You... Mom will kill me!" I shriek out of desperation, trying to talk some sense into her, but it doesn't work.

"Next time, think twice before talking shit about me," she hisses. My face turns red as she pronounces those words. Who the fuck does she think she is?

Before I can reply to her bullshit, Jenna intervenes, "Go and check yourself in a fucking mirror, Bree! Look at yourself! You're pathetic! And, while at it, take your precious little friend Marietta with you. Go away!"

Marietta, who is usually outspoken when it comes to shutting other people down cold, is taken aback. She can't even utter a single word. She starts hesitating as she realizes that she's stuck in an uncomfortable position. This is why she slowly gets out of sight.

On the other hand, Bree wants war. I don't care if she doesn't like me—I don't like her either. Still, this doesn't allow her to act as if she were God and the rest of us were lowly servants. She needs to get off the throne now.

"Now, Bree," I say, "do you think we can talk civilly or do you need to make a scene?"

She glares coldly at me. "Don't patronize me."

I raise my voice, frustrated at her lack of comprehension. "Quite rich coming from you. You've acted all high and mighty all the time. It's time you stop, okay?" I put my hands on my hips, trying to stand my ground, only to earn mocking laughter from at least thirty students in the hell.

For the first time since I began high school, I wish recess would be over as soon as possible. How can I handle hours of nonstop belittling from Bree and her cheer friends? I want to cry, but don't feel like doing so. My dignity is already shredded in pieces. I don't want to make myself a fool any further.

"Cat bit your tongue, darling?" asks Bree, annoying me even further.

Jenna deadpans, not wanting to see me suffer. "Why don't you bite your tongue, you snake?"

"Shut up, Jenna! Are you her babysitter?" I can't believe that girl. How can she be so bad? She needs some humbling.

Jenna obviously takes offense at Bree's latest snide comment and flips her off. "Fuck you, Bree! Seriously, did they beat you up as a child?"

Bree in turn doesn't take Jenna's words very well. As much as I admire my best friend, this time she might've gone too far. I feel like Bree is going to turn our lives into hell since now.

"I'm going to kill you, bitches!"