Chapter 6

As soon as we our drinks, we sip them in silence. I never lay my eyes on Ashleigh. The more time passes, the more I'm convinced I shouldn't be here. I know what age of consent is, but still believe there's something wrong. What if Ashleigh isn't twenty-two but actually older? What if she's lying about her identity? What if–

I sound like a fucking broken record now. I should stop!

When we're done, Ashleigh offers to pay for both. I accept reluctantly, not wanting to feel indebted to her, and then wait for her to leave before doing so in turn.

I'm so fucked up.

***

Back home, I realize that I have to start writing the apology letter for Bree. It has to be sincere and come from the heart, but all I feel is resentment, both at her for treating me the way she has done so far and at myself for always stooping to a low level when I face her.

It's time to put an end to that bullshit.

"Dear Bree,
You know, I'm not exactly the person you'd like to receive a letter from. However, I want to prove you that I take this commitment with the Principal seriously, so here I am.

First of all, I want to apologize to you for every time I judged you merely on your looks or your wits. I called you stupid countless times when all I should've done was to keep my mouth shut. I also insinuated that you used your skills for all the wrong reasons.

I didn't even make an effort to get to know you better and based my opinion of you on mere prejudice. I should've avoided pointless rumors. I should've also made an effort to be a better person in general, less grumpy, less judgemental, more positive and, why not, more cheerful.

So, please read this letter until the end before deciding if I deserve a chance or not. I'll perfectly understand if you choose not to give it to me. At the same time, I won't question your motives if you choose to, even if, honestly, I can't really guarantee anything.

I hope this will put an end to our feud once for all.

Yours sincerely,
Cathy Hazell.

P.S.: I'm looking forward to reading your letter."

In my opinion, the letter is short but incisive at the same time. I'm confident that the Principal will appreciate it and, in particular, that she won't tear it.

If she does, I have to promise myself not to attack her. It's not what I want and, most importantly, it will land me into serious trouble.

I fold the letter and put it in a simple white envelope. After I leave it in my backpack, I decide I'm too tired to do my usual reading and go straight to bed instead.

***

Bree hasn't showed up yet. I'm sure she's at school, but she's really busy with her activities, so she doesn't have time to snoop around trying to find me.

At least, this time no-one bothers me with their comments. It really looks like things are an easy walk in the park. Even the guys start showering me with pleasantries and compliments. What the heck is going on?

I'd like to believe it's a mere coincidence, but it's actually anything but. Marietta is rumored to be throwing a huge party later this week and everyone is on their best behavior, trying to snag an invitation. Honestly, I don't really care, since she doesn't like me and doesn't want me around. Jenna, on the other hand, does, which means only one thing: she'll keep talking about it for days.

I, as the good friend I should be, can only listen to her and support her. Especially when she insists that she'll finally get attention from Harry Hale. I know I shouldn't judge her for that, but is she sure she's going to be happy with him?

I mean, she does have a crush on him, but he's so close to Marietta... I don't want her to get burnt by her own feelings. I guess we'll have to talk, heart to heart... Not now. The bell is ringing and we're headed to different classes. Hopefully, I'll catch up with her when I can.

***

I still tuck the letter in my hands, ready to hand it to Bree as soon as I can. As far as I know, she might still be around but, at the same time, she might not be willing to meet me. While I do believe that it's time to make amends, I shouldn't push my luck too much.

I'm shocked when I find her by my locker. I think she's just slid her own letter inside. I'm tempted to stop her on her tracks and say hello, but don't make a single move. I'm too scared to piss her off and know that annoying her further shouldn't be an option.

Yet, she waves at me. Unlike me, she seems to have the guts to talk to me. I hope it's not for the wrong reason.

I reach her at my locker, trembling. "H-hi, Bree... H-how are you?" I want to face palm right now. How can I sound so lame when all I've done in my dreams is flaunting a level of confidence I've never had? Right, it was in my head. Reality hits different.

"You know, I'd say you sound cute when you stutter, but the truth is, you're anything but. I'm not the kind of girl who lies to please someone," she states. She's right. I'm pathetic. I know I should stop self-loathing, but I just can't help it. I wish I could just disappear.

I sigh, remembering Ashleigh's advice. I shouldn't be too brash or judgemental to Bree. I should listen to her more. Maybe she only acts sassy to prove her strength in front of the rest of the student body and doesn't really mean what she says.

Now, I'm more confused than ever. What do I do?

Bree points at the letter I'm literally squishing. "What do you have there? Is that an invitation? How the hell did you even get it?" If she's referring to Marietta's party, then I'm wrong. Honestly, I'm proud not to have been invited.

"Actually, that's for you," I explain, trying to ignore the fact that my lips are shaking. Then, I hand her the envelope and close my eyes, expecting her to tear it apart without reading a single line. Here we go again, once again judging her without knowing what she's up to!

For some reason I'll never get to know, she opens it and reads it. As she recits every single word, she is touched. She feels it's sincere and not forced—I really hope the Principal doesn't object, of course.

"Did you really write it for me?" The more Bree goes through it, the more she's dumbfounded. "I mean, you hate me, I hate you, too. I thought you'd only write two or three lines, saying sorry and that's it. What made you change your mind about me?"

I don't know if she'll judge for bringing Ashleigh up, so I just do, not caring about consequences. "Well, there's a person who encouraged me to let go of prejudices, even towards people I don't really like," I say.

She deadpans. "Like me?"

I nod and bite my upper lip.

"That's surprising. You know, I'm guilty, as well. I treated you as my personal punching bag, blamed you for my mistakes, and, what's worse, turned the rest of the school against you because I thought you're a weirdo." The way she admits her faults without sugarcoating anything impresses me. It takes a high level of maturity to do so.

I think I'm ready to give Bree Abeyta a well-deserved chance.