Shock

Remus blinked at the harsh lights of the hospital wing. He didn’t really remember the journey from Hogsmeade up to the school. It all went blank for a while after Simon was pried from his arms.

Simon! He looked furiously around him until his eyes landed on the boy asleep a few beds down. He looked so peaceful. They must have given him a potion.

He looked down at his hands, expecting to see them covered in dark, dry blood. They were clean. When had that happened? His clothing was still stained, but no longer drenched. He had probably been hit with some kind of cleaning charm. He wasn’t wearing his coat anymore. He needed it back. He needed what was hidden in the pockets.

He felt something on his face and looked up to see a pair of dark eyes directly in front of his. He recognized those eyes. Madam Pomfrey. Poppy. After a moment he realized she was saying his name. How long had she been speaking?

He swatted away her hand and pushed himself back up to the top of the bed. He noticed Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall standing just a little way behind Poppy.

“Remus,” she said again, urgently. “I have to treat you whether you cooperate or not. Please, answer me,” she pleaded.

When he spoke, his words came out a little breathless. He couldn’t quite feel his mouth as it moved. He felt as if he was dreaming.

“I’m- I don't remember. What did you ask?”

“You’re in shock, dear,” she said gently. “I found this in your pocket,” she said, holding the little ball of foil open in her hand to reveal the powder inside. "How long have you been doing this?" She was staring intently at his constricted pupils.

They’d all been working at Hogwarts a long time, dealing with students from all walks of life with all manner of problems. Poppy knew she didn’t have to explain to either of her colleagues what this meant. He didn't answer. He only seemed to be able to focus on her in short bursts before his attention drifted back to Simon.

“Remus, sweetheart, I need you to drink this potion for me,” she said, reaching over to grab one of the potions laid out on the tray beside her. “This will clean out your system. Give you a nice clear head.”

Remus snapped his attention back to her and shook his head. “No,” he said. “I don’t want it.”

“Remus, please, let me help you,” she said desperately.

“I said I don’t fucking want it,” he snapped, knocking the potion out of her hand, sending it crashing to the floor. If his consciousness wasn’t hovering somewhere in the ether above him he might have been embarrassed by the childish outburst. He seemed to keep ending up in this position, with people pushing potions on him to sober him up. It probably wasn't normal that it kept happening.

Poppy turned to give Dumbledore a frustrated look. He looked at Remus thoughtfully before meeting her gaze.

“Best leave it for now, Poppy.”

“Fine,” she said begrudgingly before turning back to Remus. She picked up another potion from the tray, holding it just out of reach in case he tried to smack that one away, too. “At least drink this.”

“What is it?” Remus asked flatly.

“It’s just a Calming Draught, like I used to give you after your transformations,” she explained.

“It won’t affect…” he trailed off as he looked at McGonagall with her tightly pursed lips and Dumbledore’s piercing gaze. Somehow, he couldn’t quite finish the question.

“No, dear, it won’t interfere with anything,” she said with a heavy sigh. “We need to treat your shock, please just take the potion, you’ll feel better, I promise.”