Chapter 3 - 1.1.2

Season 1, Episode 1: The Dragon's Call - Part 2

*~°○°~*_*~°○°~*_*~°○°~*

Leo really doesn't want to have to go to this banquet tonight. He isn't looking forward to having to pretend he's interested in the very dull topics most nobles like to discuss. He also isn't really looking forward to Lady Helen's performance - he's heard her sing before and she just isn't that good in his opinion.

He much prefers Gwen's singing; however, the woman has something of a fear of performing in front of others. The only reason he knows she sings at all is because he accidentally walked in on her singing to herself as she cleaned Morgana's chambers once. This was actually the first time the two had a proper conversation as she begged him not to mention it, and therefore can be seen as the catalyst to the strong bond of friendship the two embody today.

If Leo's being honest with himself, the only thing he's happy about with the banquet tonight, aside from being able to talk to Gwen, is the knowledge that Merlin will be there. Even with their limited interaction thus far, the boy has taken up a sizable residence in the prince's mind – from what Gwen said from her conversation with him, he's witty, and he saw elements of that during the awkward chat they had in Merlin's chambers.

Leo has always been drawn to the witty ones. He longs for good conversation, and since its so darn hard to find it in the company of nobles he tends to seek out those his father would call commoners to satisfy his need for banter. Gwen fills that role perfectly most days, but he's not had much luck with the rest of his people – they all have too much respect for him, not willing to go so far as to have that playful banter with him that he so craves.

Merlin is the first he's heard of since Gwen who doesn't care for his standing – see: the multiple fights in public with his oaf of a brother. If only he can get the boy to loosen up around him. He doesn't understand why the boy clammed up around him – the two brothers practically share the same face, why would Merlin insult one relentlessly but forget how to use his tongue with the other? His only hope is that the boy can live up to the reputation Gwen set out for him, and that he might finally be able to get some good banter going with someone who's far more his type.

*~°○°~*_*~°○°~*_*~°○°~*

As the bell chimed to signal the start of the feast, Leo knocked on Morgana's door and prepared himself to walk her to the banquet hall for the feast that night, as he always did. He didn't have to wait long before the door was opened by a very beautiful looking Morgana. Maybe if he was more that way inclined, Leo would have swooned. Instead, he simply smiled, "Morgana, you look absolutely wonderful. You might just start a few fights looking like that!"

Morgana smirked in return, "Well, that was the intention."

Leo just chuckled, "In that case, you have succeeded. Shall we go?" He offered, holding his arm out for her to take.

"We shall." The Lady replied, resting her hand on his arm and walking out the door.

*~°○°~*_*~°○°~*_*~°○°~*

All heads turned to them as they entered the room. Leo looked around in quiet amusement as he saw practically everyone in the room unable to take their eyes off her. He led her over to a few of the knights before taking his leave, heading in the direction of Gwen and Merlin.

As he approached, he just caught the end of their conversation, noting how Gwen was making a bit of a fool of herself by possibly accidentally insulting Merlin. Deciding to swoop in and rescue the damsel in distress, he jumped straight into the conversation, "Gwen, Gwen, Gwen, you do so love digging deeper holes for yourself."