Chapter 17

I wake up from an uncomfortable sleep but then I get ready for the day. I put on a black under armor long sleeve and a blue Nike shirt over top. I threw on black leggings and my converse, adding dream's merch hat and chains. I walk downstairs and over to Techno, he slides a plastic cup with a spoon of his cereal over to me. I look at him and sit down next to him, eating the cereal and talking to him. 

"Morning Munchkin," He says as he pats my head.

"Good morning bubbles," I say.

"Where did that name even come from?" He laughs.

"I don't know, it fits you though. Quiet and calm but at the same time fun and cool," I say and he nods. I finished up my cup of cereal and he finishes his bowl.

"I'm proud of you y/n, seriously, you have come a long way," He says and wraps his arm over my shoulder. I start to tear up and hug him tightly but then I grab my softball and school things as we head out the front door. We drive to school and Phil gives me good luck as I head out the car door. I hop down and see Drista with softball stuff as well.

"You are tying out?" I say as I walk up to Drista.

''Yeah! I have always liked softball and when I heard you were trying out I had to!" I laugh and then I go through the day. The school was very boring and basic, nothing special. At the end of the day, I walk to our family's meeting spot.

"Hello Wilbur, I have my softball tryouts!" I say excitedly.

"Yes, you do! Puffy is over there with some other girls trying out if you want to go with them." 

"Alright! Bye!" I say cheerfully.

"Good luck!" He says and I walk over to Drista and we head over to Puffy's group.

"Hey, y/n and Drista!" Puffy says as we walk up to the group, "These are some of the other people trying out, this is Poki, Alyssa, and Tina!" Hellos were exchanged in the group and then we all walked to the locker room and changed into our softball pants and cleats. We then started to warm up on the field, I warmed up with Drista and then the tryouts started. There were a lot of people there, some my age, some older than Techno. They started simple, doing grounders and pop-ups, nothing too difficult. Then, slowly they would give us harder things but I never missed the ball. I dove to get a bunt that popped up and caught it, everyone cheered and that felt good. Then we moved on to hitting, we hit off a machine and it was throwing slow at the beginning and harder toward the end. I fouled off 3 of the fast ones but never completely missed. I was very proud of myself so far. I watched as people struggled and some did very well. Then, they told us to get water while they discussed the tryouts. I chatted with my friends and then we all lined up near the coaches. I was very nervous. Then they started talking.

"The tryout has been completed. We have multiple teams all of you could make, and some of you will be cut. We have the 14u team, this is our lowest team for girls who show talent but not enough to play with the older girls. This team is for girls ages 14 and younger. We then have JV B, the Junior Varsity 2nd team. For people who show skill but have a lot of room for improvement, then JV, the girls who show more talent and drive than JV B but very close. Then we have Varsity, the girls who show a lot of skill and talent in this sport. And finally All-Stars. These are the players who are the best of the best, the ones who will play against big names and college teams. Since this school is a 6 through College each level will play different grades, 14u being middle, JV's and Varsity being High School, and All-Stars being College. This could range from D3-D1 so be ready. We will go out of state some weekends and you will have to be fully committed to the team. Now, there are a handful of girls who have been cut, including," Then the coach listed off names of girls and they grabbed their stuff and left some were crying and others laughed it off. Then she listed off the 14u team. Drista and I didn't get our names called which means 13-year-olds both made it to the big teams. We smiled at each other and then they listed off JV B. Drista was on that team. I wasn't. I let go of her hand and she went with her coach. I waved goodbye and then she walked off. Then, they listed off JV, no one I knew was on that one. I wasn't either. Then Varsity. I wasn't expecting to be on a team higher than JV so I was certain this would be my team. I waited as a name I remembered, Poki and another Tina were called off. I wasn't. I looked at Puffy and then she squeezed me in a tight hug. They read off the names of the All-Star team, just to make sure the right people were still there. I was on it. "Congrats to everyone," The coach said, "I am Coach Lane, this is Coach Dema, and Coach Christen. I hope you all are excited but right now we will need all of you to get parental permission to be on this team since we do go out of state. Here are the permission slips," I took one, and then they got a picture to go on 'School Softball' Instagram and then we all headed off.