Chapter 2: S. Snowden

Friday
9:12 PM
Club Stratus, Moonlight District, NMC

You and Hailey were still in the car, despite pulling up to the club maybe a few minutes ago. You were practicing to ask out the bouncer, while Hailey watched and critiqued your technique.

That sentence, "ask out the bouncer," just sounded off. You couldn't think of anyone who's asked out...just security personnel in general. But guess who was going to be the first...that's right, a slightly workaholic newspaper editor who's never dated anyone before. Despite all that, you were ready to sweep this wolf off of his feet with your ✨sweet talking✨...that was also laden with stutters and stammers.

"Okay, you're almost there (Y/N). Try again." Hailey said.

She had been coaching you on this, and you had been taking mental notes. You weren't going to lie to yourself and say that you weren't in it for the two thousand dollars only, but it was clouding your mind at the moment.

"Okay, whew, trying again. Do the face again." you said.

Hailey put on a pair of sunglasses, and put on a stern expression, trying to imitate the bouncer.

"Aight, now start. Remember, you're just asking him on a date." Hailey said.

"As if saying I'm 'just' asking him on a date is downplaying my anxiety, but okay." you said, taking one last deep breath before shooting your mock-shot.

Just then, that same nervous pain settled in your stomach, and your vocal chords started to feel weak, somehow.

"H-Hi. Um, I know you don't know me, but..."

As you paused, Hailey raised her brow while keeping the same stone faced expression. This did not help with the stress.

"I-I uh, thought you were pretty handsome, and I was wondering if you'd...l-like to go out sometime? If you swing, y'know, the other way. It's fine if you don't-"

"No! Stop! That last part doesn't need to happen. Just end with the 'swinging the other way' part, and then wait for your response." Hailey said.

"Okay, leave out the last part, got it." you said.

"Wait, how am I going to go about this, though, just walk out of line and just go up to him?" you ask.

"Yep. Come on, so you can get your two thousand, and possibly a boyfriend." Hailey said, stepping out of the car.

"Okay..." you say.

You both step out of the car, and jog across the street towards the long line of patrons. You and Hailey wait in the line for a moment, so you can de-stress before making the scariest decision of your life.

That was an exaggeration, but this still was pretty damn nerve racking.

After settling you're breathing, you decided that you would wait a little bit before going towards your potential boyfriend.

Which went down faster than expected, so eventually you had to confront your nervousness.

"Okay, how ya doin'? You ready?" Hailey asked.