Chapter 40

"No."

"But Mom-"

"I said no and that's my answer."

When Wendy told her mother about Romeo's offer to take her to the marine park and asked her if she could attend, Irene didn't even think about her answer. It was an automatic N-O.

"But it's the marine park Mom!" Wendy said. "I've been wanting to go there forever."

"You're too young to date Wendy."

"It's not even a real date. We're just going to have fun."

"That's what they all say. I'm sorry Wendy, I know how much you want to go to that marine park but you're still not old enough to go there by yourself with a boy. What if he tries something?"

"Mom I know Romeo." Erza said. "The kid's harmless. He's much too squeamish to try to make a move. He'll probably pee himself if they hold hands."

"Still I don't like the idea of your sister being at an amusement park without supervision."

"They won't be unsupervised Mom. His foster brother explained it to me, he'll be with them the whole time."

"Wait you knew about this?"

"Yes and I was just as skeptical as you were but from I was told, everything is perfectly innocent. They're going to the park and Gray will watch them."

"I don't know this Gray person and if I don't know them then I can't trust them with my children. You go with them."

"I can't. I have that seminar on Saturday, remember?"

"Oh that's right. Well then I'm afraid you can't go Wendy."

"That's not fair!" Wendy complained.

"What if Juvia goes with them?" Erza suggested. "You know her and you told me that you liked her."

It was true. Irene did like Juvia. When Erza first introduced her to Irene, Juvia was very polite and friendly. She didn't look down on Irene for her job or living conditions. She would always offer to help with the yard work and keeping the trailer clean. She even baby sat Wendy a few times when Irene had to work late and Erza would stay after school for extra credit.

"Well...I suppose if she's there it would make me feel more comfortable about this." Irene said. "Can I talk to her before she and the kids leave?"

"Sure." Erza said. "She wouldn't have a single problem with that."

"Alright." She sighed. "Wendy I'll allow you to go to the marine park with this boy. But only if Juvia goes with you."

"Thanks Mom." Wendy said excitedly. "I'll go call Romeo and tell him right now."

When Romeo heard the news he was just as excited as she was. More so even. He did a little dance in his room. But then he remembered the catch and worried that might not be so easy to concede to.

"So good news." Romeo said entering Gray's room. "Wendy called and she's agreed to go with me to the marine park this Saturday."

"Great." Gray said.

"There's just one condition. Her mom will only let her go if Juvia comes along to supervise."

"Okay. So She'll take you instead of me. She'd be happy too."

"That's not exactly what I had in mind big bro."

"What do you mean?"

"Well I was thinking that maybe both of you could come along and make it a double date?"