Chapter 14

“You all packed and ready to go, Cupcake?” Carmilla asked as Laura came out to her car, a backpack on much tanner shoulders and a duffel of sparring gear in her hand. Carmilla brushed her thumb over the scrape on Laura’s cheek.

“Yeah, and it doesn’t hurt any more, Carm. I’ve had worse. Trust me. I’ve probably been doing this as long as you have.” Laura scoffs.

“Whatever you say, Creampuff.” Carmilla says with a half-smile.

“Are your legs good to drive or do you still want me to?” Laura asks, ignoring Carmilla’s smirk.

“No, my legs are always great, Buttercup.” Carmilla says as she tosses her bag over her shoulder into the back seats and slides into the driver’s seat.

“Of course you do.” Laura says with a sigh, the seat belt almost burning hand when she fastened it, trying hard not to stare at Carmilla as she sat in the driver’s seat, waiting on the crowds of teenagers to pass.

“Have you thought any more about what I said?” the older girl asks, studiously not even glancing at Laura. She sighs and runs a hand through her blonde hair.

“Yeah, actually, I have.” she starts, and Carmilla can’t help but glance over at her.

“This, whatever it is, I want it. I want it to be a thing. A real thing.” Laura says, surprised by just how hard her heart was beating.

“Good, me too. I want that too.” Carmilla says with a sigh of relief and a shaky smile.

“Good.” Laura replies with an awkward smile, wishing that she could somehow dissipate the tension filling the car.

“How did you enjoy your first ever Silas beach trip?” Carmilla asked as the school bus finally pulled out.

“It was pretty great. The company wasn’t half bad either.” Laura teased.

“Even the passing out part?” Carmilla asked jokingly.

“Almost dying is never fun.” Laura says with a fake scowl.

“I wouldn’t say all of that.” Carmilla says with a smirk.

“You stop.” Laura giggles, reminded of the fact that Carmilla laugh before. It was probably the best laugh that she had ever heard.

“Why are you staring at me like that?” Carmilla asked, making Laura blush.

“I’ve never heard you laugh before, at least, not ever like you meant it.” Laura admits, owning up to the staring unabashedly.