Chapter 7

“How do they even manage to make falling over in the sand look like porn?” LaFontaine asked later, relaxing in the hot springs next to Perry, doing their best not to look anywhere where they weren’t meant to be looking.

“I have no idea, but it was hot. How were they not kissing? I think that everybody but Danny was rooting for them kissing. I know I certainly was.” Perry says  with a teasing smile. they both catch a slight growl from Danny  in the pool beside of them and try to hold back snickers.

“Sometimes I just wonder if anyone will look at me like that though.” LaFontaine murmurs and Perry almost missed it.

-----//////------

“That was some killer ball out there, Cupcake.” Carmilla comments as she dangles her feet in the pool Laura was swimming in.

“Thanks. It was a hobby of mine in grade school.’ she chuckles. “You were pretty intense yourself.”

“I’m competitive.” she shrugs, enjoying her view of Laura, in that same bikini, floating on her back, the ridges of muscles in her abdomen obvious to the naked eye. Carmilla  could easily recall the feeling of that soft skin and smell and the rush of her touch every second.

“You really are.” Laura chuckles.

“A hobby, huh?” Carmilla asks. “Have any other hobbies, cutie?”

“Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings, Doctor Who, Sherlock, Supernatural…” Laura says with a blush, suddenly feeling really dorky.

“So, you’re a closet nerd?” Carmilla asks with a cheeky grin that left Laura unsure as to whether she wanted to smack her or kiss her.

“Not so closeted if you had ever taken an opportunity to get to know me, cutie.” Laura takes a jab at the older girl.  Carmilla was both hurt and mildly turned on.

“Okay, tell me more then.” she responds with small smile.

“I’m an only child and I still live with my dad. My mom died when I was four, so, fifteen years ago today.” Laura trails off, remembering that she hadn’t yet taken any time to mourn. Laura pulls herself out of the pool and sits a couple of feet away from Carmilla, her head hanging and wet hair dripping.

“Are you okay?” Carmilla asks, her voice gentle and warm.

“Yeah, yeah, I’m okay.” Laura said mildly, her head still hanging and her hair hiding her face. Carmilla didn’t believe her and nudged closer, wrapping her arm around Laura’s shoulders.

“Sorry Sweetpea, but I don’t believe you. Do you want to talk about it?” she asks.

“It’s been...so long, and I feel like I should be over it by now, you know? She’s been gone for fifteen years and it hurts the same way that it did the day…” Laura tucked her head in between her knees and Carmilla’s heart broke for her young partner and she gently pulled her into her. Laura folded like paper and her entire body shook. Carmilla even cried a few tears for her friend, the first friend that she had had in a very long time. When she was all cried out Carmilla pulled Laura to her feet.