Sophie was disgusted. Why was she here? Did Sophie have to save her? Be the hero everyone thought she was, when she was only a teenage girl? 

Her heart erupted with anger. No, she was not saving her. Sophie was turned down; it was only fair to do the same. 

Right?

Right??

Another scream shook Sophie's body.

Right?

No. Maybe. Sophie didn't know. 

But she was still a part of Sophie. An important part of her. The smiles they shared. The truths they told each other. The lies. The pretends. 

But that, Sophie thought, was part of their relationship. 

Sophie thought of the truth she had learned. The reasons behind the lies. 

Sometimes, reality couldn't be ignored. 

Another scream rang through the chilly air. 

"NO!" Sophie turned, her eyes flashing dangerously. "NO! Not her, please! Do it to me! I'll do anything!"

"Goodness, doesn't she sound pathetic. I guess this proves that the fearless Moonlark is not as brave as people say. Not that it's a surprise." A Neverseen in the shadows chided. 

Why her? Why did it have to be her? She was Sophie's weak spot. 

The Neverseen were always one step ahead of Sophie. And this time, there wasn't a choice. 

There was only one way out of this complicated maze, and it required a sacrifice. 

Sophie stared at her. She shook her head yes, tears streaming down her face. I'm sorry. She mouthed.

No.

All the feelings Sophie felt for her was replaced by two big ones: regret and love. If only they had more time. If only they had time to answer the unfinished story. 

"Do it, Sophie." Her ties got tied in the back, and there was a slight gurgle in her voice. It was enough to make Sophie's legs wobble, her eyes lose focus and think, ohnoohnoitsmyfaultwhatamIgonnadohelphelphelpmeplease.

And the blood. 

"No! Don't give up. We'll think of something together." Sophie felt a knife being pushed into her neck. Sophie inhaled. "Please."

She knew what the tugging of her head meant. Finally, the pieces came together.

There had been a reason all along. The person Sophie was looking at had planned for this. How, Sophie didn't know. There were lots of things Sophie didn't know.

Her eyes softened. "It's okay. I'm ready. This is for a good cause, okay? Maybe it doesn't make sense now, but it will in the future. Please do it, the pain is killing me anyway. You'll be fine without me; I haven't done much help to you anyway. Remember, Sophie. I will always love you. Even though I couldn't do much to prove it when I had time. I'm so, so, sorry. You'll do amazing things with your power. Don't let go. Don't give up. Keep fighting for the things you love. I... I'll be with you, maybe not in person, but in heart."

"Pfft, enough baby talk. There's nothing the Moonlark can do anyway."

Sophie ran through everything she knew in her brain again. Was this a trick? Was there something Sophie didn't notice?

No. Of course not.

Sophie's body shook with her sob. "No! No!" She refused to do it. She refused to believe it.

The Neverseen took out a scissor, cutting the blond flocks of hair of her. Sophie could only watch in disbelief.

"No! Stop!" Sophie yelled.

"Like we'll ever take orders from you." The Neverseen said. "It's just her hair! You should be thanking me right now, not screaming like a pathetic baby."

Sophie locked eyes with the blue ones. The blue eyes were tired. She nodded. "Do it, Sophie."

There was no choice.

I'm sorry, Sophie thought. She might've transmitted it. She didn't know.

A medler appeared in Sophie's hand.

Just like that. 

The end. 

The end of a life. The end of so many lives. 

The end of Sophie's childhood. No, she was not an innocent person who could be forgotten. 

She was a murderer. She stole her happiness and transformed it into something deadly. 

Although Sophie was sure that she was the only one who would know this and that this would be a secret she would bring to the grave, her insides felt wrong and shriveled. 

This seemed too big -- to raw to keep to herself. 

So, it was a whole lot of terror and a bit of a relief when she saw Councillor Emery staring at her with big, blank eyes. 

He quickly averted them when Sophie stared at him. Her posture sagged, the medler heavy on her hands. 

Then he disappeared.

Gone. 

Not waiting for an explanation. 

Not demanding answers but seeking them from the truth he saw right then. 

Sophie sunk to the ground in a crying mess. But arms after arms hugged her as the hero. The fight was over. The sacrifices were overshadowed by the happiness. 

Sophie Foster, the hero. The hero who ended it all. That was what they thought. 

Sophie's tears blurred the vision and darkness welcomed her home. 

She woke up with a jolt. No, she could never go back to the Lost Cities. The things she had done... Well, they were awful. 

Shuddering as her mind replayed the nightmare, Sophie changed into the clothes of the quest taking place soon. She felt like a princess. Like an elf of the Lost Cities. But she didn't deserve it. She didn't even deserve to live. 

Sophie looked at herself in the mirror. Her hair was brunette, sort of like Biana's, and freckles dotted her pale face. Her nose has long and narrow, and her lips were smaller but fuller. Dimples appeared when Sophie attempted to smile. 

But these changed effects were not what made Sophie take in a breath. 

Her cheeks were rosy, and her eyes were azure. 

The resemblance was striking. Sophie looked just like her

"Ready to go?" Veta was leaning on the doorframe, looking very proud of her work. Sophie nodded. 

"Yes."

Sorry for the late update!