Epilogue

"You did what?" Greatness stared at Deathbringer in disgust and disbelief. How could her adopted brother be so stupid? "You actually told Kinkajou to tell Sunny who killed Grandeur?"

Deathbringer scowled back from inside his cell. "Why not? Or are you scared to own up to the truth?" His voice was bitter. Didn't he understand what Greatness had done for him? What he'd just ruined?

"It was a test for you," Greatness spat. "To see if you could kill all those people. Do you know what would have happened if you hadn't killed you ex-girlfriend's relative? Ultimate betrayal. The Council would have had you executed, Deathbringer. You would have died."

"Better to die than to kill," Deathbringer growled, folding his arms stubbornly.

"I can't lose you! Quickstrike is dead! Victory is a sister I never knew! Dead! You're the only family I have!" Greatness said desperately. "I love Vengeance, but he isn't really family. I barely know Battlewinner!"

"I'm your adopted brother. Or I was." Deathbringer glared at her hatefully. "I disown you."

Greatness could barely keep herself together. "You let Kinkajou tell Sunny," she said icily. "Now Sunny will tell everyone. Everyone. And when the NightWings find out, you'll be dead." Her voice turned pleading. "You may hate me, but I did this to keep you alive. Because I care. Please let me help you escape."

Deathbringer stared at the wall, unresponsive.

"You'll die otherwise. It's only a matter of time before they find out you didn't kill Grandeur."

He gritted his teeth, but nodded. "Okay. Fine. But getting me out will be beyond impossible, you know that right?" He sighed. "The moved the keys after Glory and Kinkajou and the others got into the fortress. They his them somewhere."

"We need to find them then!" Greatness said urgently. I can't let him die! He's my brother, adopted or not, disowned or not, I will always have a duty to take care of him.

Deathbringer hesitated. "It'll be impossible."

"Maybe I can help with that."

It wasn't Greatness who had spoken. She turned around to see who had, immediately bristling at the eavesdropper, wondering how on earth this person got into the dungeon without her hearing.

Then she stopped dead.

This girl was Greatness' age, and had long, sweeping black hair with turquoise-blue eyes. There was something painfully familiar about her that Greatness couldn't quite figure out.

"Who are you?" Greatness demanded, facing her with hostility. Did she have to defend Deathbringer from her? Was this person going to tell the entire fortress?

"Calm down Greatness. I can help you free your brother. Half brother, anyways." She held up her hands innocently, and Deathbringer narrowed his eyes with interest, not saying a word.

"How do you know my name?" Greatness snarled. There was something agonizingly familiar about her, but Greatness just couldn't figure it out. "And why should I trust you?"

She smiled, and fished in her pocket, pulling out something small and silver and metal and she faces Greatness, holding it out.

"I have the key."