Chapter 6 - Future

Sunny had never thought that she'd be so afraid to wake up every day.

Every time she did, she was uncertain. What will happen today? Another argument? More betrayal? Secrets? Everything?

I don't know what to do anymore.

She had barely spoken to Glory in ages. She missed her friend. Every time she walked the halls of Jade Mountain, she felt . . . empty. Lost.

Tsunami had Riptide, despite the fact they hadn't spoken in ages, Sunny knew they were slowly rekindling their old relationship. Clay had - Well, maybe Clay didn't really have anyone since Peril vanished, but Tsunami still helped him and talked to him. They were best friends.

And then there was Starflight and Fatespeaker. Sunny could never help but feel a small flash of jealousy when she saw them together. Not because she loved Starflight. Far from it. They would always just be friends. Never anything before.

More because . . . they had each other. Fatespeaker read to Starflight and helped him. Supported him. Loved him.

Sunny was mostly alone.

I miss everyone. I miss the times where we used to play truth or dare in the group chats. Where Glory would be seconds away from murdering Deathbringer becayse he flirted with her; when Clay would go and say random things about food; where Tsunami would shout and pretend there was nothing between her and Riptide; where Kinkajou would play the shipper role; Fatespeaker would announce her latest visions and Peril would ask to know what all the abbreviations meant.

What role did I play? Sunny wondered. The peacemaker? The only sensible one? The one that wasn't much fun? Full of unrealistic hopes and dreams and futures that would never happen?

Three moons, I'm starting to sound like Fate.

I miss everyone a lot. I miss Peril. Especially Peril. And Deathbringer. Glory. Greatness. Riptide. Everyone we've lost.

Glory's queen of a tribe now. When will I get to see her again? Peril hates us. I want to fix it so much, but I never seem to say the right thing. Deathbringer is either locked in the NightWing prison or he's going to kill someone else, which Glory will hate him even more for. Riptide is so busy with the Talons of Peace.

Everything's changed. The others are right. Nothing's going to be the same ever again.

So what can I do about it? How can I possibly help?

Glory and I don't really talk anymore. She's busy. So is Riptide. Peril dislikes me so much. And Deathbringer . . . what can I even say to him?

He killed Grandeur. And more. Bright. Tapir. Gibbon.

He's an assassin.

I mean, I almost forgive him. Almost. But . . . I still remember the times when I knew Grandeur too.

She was nice to us. I would go over to Glory's house and Grandeur would be there. Smiling at us warmly, warning Kinkajou not to annoy us, asking if we wanted snacks from the kitchen. She was kind of indifferent and regal sometimes. But that was what I respected most about her.

And she was murdered. Why did Deathbringer kill her, of all people? Didn't he know how much it would hurt Glory, especially after she found out she and Grandeur were related? And poor Kinkajou as well.

Kinkajou forgave Deathbringer so quickly. Sunny's thoughts wandered back to the time when she'd first brought back the group chat.

The stupid group chat.