Prologue

Sunny glanced around nervously. Lava was billowing at the sides of the glowing pools all around them. Everyone was silent as they waited for Kinkajou and Peril to come.

Glory was sitting down, staring at the lava as if in a daze. Stunned. Even sort of grieving.

Poor Glory, Sunny thought. I know how she feels. I still can't believe it either. Deathbringer's an assassin...it was such a shock. I don't know whether she could forgive him or not. I think I might be able to...

Starflight glanced towards her and Sunny looked away. He loves me. I don't know what to do. Everything's gone wrong. Why? Why has this happened? I can't hurt him but...

I do love him. But like a brother.

"Starflight," Sunny began quietly. Tsunami seemed to notice but seemed to pretend not to listen. Sunny went on, even though she knew they were all listening. "I - I do love you. But as a brother. I'm sorry."

He looked over to her, sadness in his green eyes. "I know. And it's okay. I understand."

"I don't love you the way Fatespeaker loves you," Sunny tried. She had known for ages that Fatespeaker had loved him. More than she ever could have is she had. It just never would have worked. And Sunny had to tell him the truth.

It's best for me, for him, and for Fatespeaker.

Starflight gave her a sideways look, almost embarrassed. Sunny quickly continued, hoping he was listening.

"And it's okay if you love her too. She's a great person. Funny, kind, loyal...." Sunny listed gently. Starflight nodded.

"I know," he whispered. "Fatespeaker's amazing."

Regret pierced Sunny's heart briefly. I wish I could have. But I just can't. It's so hard to force your heart and soul into something you don't believe in. I hope he'll be happy. Hopefully with Fatespeaker.