Chapter Fourteen: Barking Up the Wrong Tree

Start from the beginning

What made me do a double take wasn't the coffee, because for all I knew they were both for him, but what he was wearing. I hadn't seen Sterling in anything other than a perfect, and honestly quite attractive, suit.

However, formality was apparently not required today, as Sterling wore a dark gray athletic shirt and a pair of shorts. I hadn't noticed during our awkward dance earlier. I almost felt I wasn't allowed to see him like this, to see the more casual side of Sterling. It felt weird and almost too intimate. Especially when the shirt was even more form-fitting than his suits, showing off the curves of his shoulders and the tight strain of his arms.

Am I attracted to him?

Yes — physically. I still thought he was a jerk. I wasn't ready to roll over on the whole suspect issue yet. Besides, I wasn't really into standoffish, 'holier than thou' men.

That, and he has more walls up than a prison.

"Do you mind?" Sterling nodded at the porch swing. I shrugged and scooted over, steadying the swing from the gentle rocking I'd been doing. Sterling settled on the opposite side and offered a cup of coffee.

Oh.

"Thanks." I took it, grateful for my fix. I'd have to ask where the coffee supplies were kept in the kitchen, so I wouldn't have to rely on him for caffeine. I was already relying on him for too much. I had to draw the line somewhere.

"I wasn't sure how you liked it. There's more sugar and cream in the kitchen."

"No, this is fine. Thanks." I wasn't too picky. Caffeine was caffeine. And, honestly, it tasted great.

"How's there food here?" I asked as the thought suddenly occurred to me.

"All safehouses are equipped with non-perishables, but nearby safehouses are prepared in case of emergency when the company's put on high alert," Sterling said, sounding like a soldier giving a debrief.

I just nodded. I didn't have the experience or expertise to make a relevant comment back.

"We don't have dog food, but I can pick some up at the store. You'll just have to tell me what Rolo needs, and if you need anything."

"I have a couple days of dogfood, but we'll need some eventually," I agreed. I was ignoring the urge that begged me to ask how long we were settled here for. I feared the answer almost as much as I feared the ringing boom that'd haunted my anxieties after the party.

I guess he's being a little nicer than when we first met. Maybe he thinks I'm crazy and is being nice to me. Or maybe – stop it, Avery. Maybe he's being nice to you because that's what people do.

"How'd you get that?" Sterling asked, pointing to my arm where it laid on my lap. I glanced down, noticing for the first time my right arm was bright red. I pressed my fingers to the colored patch as heat emanated off my arm; sharp pain sliced across as my fingertips brushed the skin.

"I guess when I fell asleep in the car yesterday, I got burned." I pursed my lips, realizing I'd fallen asleep with my arm directly in the sun. I didn't have any painkillers or aloe if it got worse.

Sterling nodded, letting the summer day resume its march to tranquil serenity. It was warm, calm, and quiet — and then it was over.

"There's a couple things we should go over."

Sterling shifted in his seat as a gradual hardening took over his expression. I watched as he slipped back into analytical mode. He shook off the daze that'd almost captured him in its seasonal clutches; it was like watching shutters on a house slam closed.