Chapter 5 The Harvest Festival

Start from the beginning

"Can I go on an adventure and slay monsters?"

"Yes, but you need to grow up a bit first and learn how to wield a sword."

"Will you teach me?"

"Of course, I will."

"Good. I don't want to be a princess anymore. When I grow up, I will be a monster slayer, just like you, Mummy!"

Skylar laughed and kissed Thalia's head. "I bet you will. Just don't tell Daddy I gave you that idea."

***

Before Skylar finally got to bed, it was long after midnight. Whether times were turbulent or peaceful, the work never seemed to end.

"I'm so tired today," she mumbled to her pillow.

Gawyn firmly massaged her tense shoulders, and she hummed approvingly. "You can rest now. Unless you still have some strength left," he murmured into her ear, sending a pleasant shiver down her spine.

"Mmmm, do you have something specific in mind?"

"Maybe." He kissed her neck.

The door creaked open. They both froze and looked up.

Thalia was standing in a doorway, rubbing her sleepy eyes.

"Mummy? Daddy? Can I sleep with you?"

"Of course, you can, Kitten. Come up here," Skylar said, pushing down her disappointment.

Gawyn sighed, kissed her shoulder and made room for the little girl in the middle of the bed.

"Did you have a nightmare?" Skylar asked when Thalia cuddled to her, little fingers brushing through her hair. The girl only murmured something incoherently and was sound asleep in seconds.

Gawyn smiled and kissed the little head.

"Good night, my loves."

***

It was the time of the Harvest Festival, and it seemed that half of the kingdom flocked to the capital to take part in celebrations and festivities. The main market in Eaglepoint was bustling with activity. The streets were full of laughing revellers. The local folks decorated the houses with red, orange and yellow ribbons, the colours of Udar, the holy Spirit of soil and vegetation. Offerings were set up in front of each door, using the household's most decorative and fancy plates. The ripest and most beautiful fruits and vegetables were laid out to show gratitude for generous harvests.

Most places in the capital were filled with music and lively chatter. The stalls with fresh food could be found on most of the city's main arteries. The alluring aromas of freshly baked bread and all sorts of hot pots were assaulting the senses of all visitors, offering them temptations they couldn't possibly resist. They provided the whole range of tastes – from mild and sweet to spicy and unbearably hot. It was time for celebration, and for those short few days, everyone could eat and drink plenty.

For those in a more rowdy mood, plenty of alcohol was served - from spiced meads, through the freshly fermented beer to spirits that would scrunch up the faces of most experienced drinkers. At the Harvest Festival, the city offered everything anyone could dream of.

"Daddy, Daddy!" Thalia patted Gawyn's head while sitting on his shoulders. "I can smell pumpkin buns! Can I have one? Please?"

"Fine, but do you know where they sell them? I can't see a thing in this crowd," Gawyn grumbled. He didn't want to come here. For him, it was one of the many pointless pastimes that people of the capital were so fond of. Still, Skylar convinced him that Thalia was far too excited to miss it, especially considering all her friends were attending the festivities.