"No pushing yet Luna," Doc cautions. "We've got some time yet."

"But it's too early," she whimpers, fear lacing each word. "They aren't due for another month!"

"Babies have their own timeline," Chloe assures us. "Your scans have been good, they're well developed."

"You're sure?" Jess asks, uncertainty flooding back through our bond.

"Baby, they are the best, you're in good hands." She relaxes slightly at my assurance, meanwhile, Cyrus is pacing endlessly in the back of my mind.

Time ticks by at a snail's pace as we wait for Doc to say she's ready to push. As her contractions get stronger and come closer together, I struggle to stay calm.

Thank God I went for a run... After burning all that energy off I'm still this worked up, I can't imagine sitting here calmly without it.

"Owe, Fuck!" Jess hisses, her body going rigid. Each contraction is getting stronger, drawing more colourful curses from her.

I'm on my feet instantly, brushing her hair back from her sweat-covered brow. She groans, struggling to breathe through this one, her body hunching over itself.

"Breathe baby," I whisper. Her hand finds mine and she squeezes hard, her knuckles turning white as my fingers colour purple. "It'll be over soon. That's it."

Jess gasps and throws her head back, making my stomach drop.

Something's wrong...

Alarms start to sound on the monitor and a moment later the med team rushes in. My heart hammers in my chest, having been around to welcome every new pack member.

This isn't normal.

"What is it?!" I snap, my gaze darting from Jess to Doc and any of the nurses, desperate for answers.

"Alpha, please! We need to work," Doc begs, not even stopping to look at me as he strong-arms me back.

"Chris," Jess chokes out when I step away, reaching out for me.

Hands push into my side, guiding me around to the head of the bed. "Up here is safe and out of the way," Chloe directs. 'Try to keep her calm.'

'What the fuck is wrong?!' I snap more forcefully than I mean to but my mate's fear feeding back through the bond has Cyrus in a frenzy.

Chloe purses her lips as she watches me, her keen brown gaze weighing the pros and cons before sighing.

'Please Chloe,' I whisper. Jess squeezes my hand hard once more and I run my thumb over her knuckles, desperate to soothe her.

'One of the baby's heartbeats dropped. It's back up,' she adds quickly. 'This can happen, but it may mean not waiting...'

'But you guys said she's not there yet?!'

"Are they okay?" Jess asks, her voice wavering with worry. She's finally able to catch her breath and pins Doc in place with her gaze.

"Yes Luna," he assures her. "One of the readings dropped..." he trails off, his expression guarded as he takes in all of the data.

"Tell me," she demands.

Doc freezes but Chloe is unfazed, moving to her side. "Your little ones are too eager to meet you," she says, her voice soft and calming. "They are big and strong... You may need a c-section for all of your safety."

My gut drops like a rock.

An operation...

'Only if it comes to it, Alpha,' Doc assures me. 'The risks are minimal and much safer than if we do nothing.'