29 They're Coming

Chris

Warning howls start to sound, which pick up and more add to as word spreads of the breach. My heart begins to race, fearing the worst.

Jess is on the verge of tears as she strains, trying to make sense of whatever she's feeling. Suddenly, her eyes go wide and snap to mine.

"They're coming," she gasps, latching onto my arm.

I grit my teeth, shoving my fear aside and knowing I have a job to do. As much as I worry about Jess, everyone here is my responsibility.

Locking eyes with Jace, I start to issue orders. "Get everyone to the breach, stagger-"

Jess pulls on my arm and shakes her head. "That's what they want... It's an ambush."

"What do you mean?" I growl, feeling Cyrus frantic in the back of my mind.

"Yeah what do you mean FEEL?" Rebecca cuts in, glaring at Jess. Before I can address the self-righteous shewolf, Mira appears.

"Never mind that," Mira dismisses, blocking Rebecca with her body. "Go on Jess."

Jess swallows and nods, shaking her initial shock away. "They're pouring through the breach, but they're also massing at the mountain pass," she murmurs. The far-away look in her eyes is like she's not fully here anymore.

"The hell is going on?!" Kane growls, joining us outside. His attention automatically goes to the fire in the distance.

The door slams open once more, with Ryker and Derek joining us. The hard looks on their faces speak volumes. "How bad is it?"

"We've lost a full squad that was keeping an eye on the breach, only one survivor and barely," Ryker replies, his face a grim mask barely hiding his anger.

"I'm down two Guardians too," Derek adds.

"Fuck!" I growl. "Standing here isn't going to do any good." Jess is frozen, her eyes glued to the ridge as I guide her back inside and through the kitchen.

Chaos reigns throughout the palace as orders are issued and defenders assemble. Aiden and Garrick are directing their forces as Sara and Nex marshal the warriors.

We push back into the private dining room and the people left behind are already scrambling. Claire coos a fussy Xander while she talks with Willow to calm her.

Sasha and Mira appear with Chloe and collect Jess, her nails dig into my arm as they try to guide her away. Her teary gaze lifts to mine as her shock clears.

"Come back to me," she pleads, tightening my chest. Without hesitation, I slip my hand behind her head and bring my lips onto hers, pouring all of my love and everything I can't say into my kiss.

I break our kiss, resting my forehead on hers as I wipe a tear from her cheek. "Always baby," I promise.

She sniffs back her tears and steps back with her friends, never taking her teary gaze from me, like she's committing every detail to memory. I spot Mira bidding Jace goodbye and stop her before she joins the others, gripping her by both shoulders.

"Protect her, please," I beg, locking my gaze on hers.

"I-I will," she stammers, clearly overwhelmed.

"Mira," I say with my alpha tone, helping her focus. "I need to know my luna and family are safe, don't hold back. Your wolf is your strength and your pack needs you."

She looks at me for a long moment, absorbing what I'm saying. Sage flashes in her eyes and she nods with determination. "I won't let you down, Alpha."