17 Gremlins

Chris' wide eyes are glued to mine as he shoots up out of his seat. "What's wrong?!"

My brows furrow as I struggle to make sense of the fluttering sensation deep in my abdomen. "I don't...umph... is it? It's kicking!" The realization changes my alarm to excitement as I shift my hands around, trying to pinpoint the spot.

Chris drops down to one knee in front of me and lays his hands on top of mine. There's such raw anticipation rolling off of him, I want him to feel it too. Cupping his hand, I slide it to where I felt the last flutter.

He leans in, staring intently on the spot like he fully expects to see hands reaching through my shirt. After what feels like an eternity, his patience is rewarded with a stronger kick.

His shining eyes find mine once more as he beams up at me. "So strong," he whispers, reaching up with his free hand to caress my cheek. "Just like their mother."

My chest feels like it may burst from all the love feeding back through the bond from Chris. I've seen the babies on the screen, I know they are real, but feeling them kick just makes it more so.

Kane has his arms wrapped around Willow's waist like a seatbelt as she strains to get closer, whimpering. Chris chuckles at her and looks up at me for permission before waving her over. That's all the encouragement she needs as she throws his arm away and crouches down beside Chris.

I swear if her tail was out, it would be wagging a mile a minute.

She raises her hand and stops inches from my stomach, her blue doe eyes locked on mine in a silent plea. "Over here," I laugh, guiding her hand to the side where Chris was.

Willow bites her bottom lip and leans in, focussing all her attention on her hand like she's willing it to move. She huffs as the moments tick by and nothing happens. A small flutter happens right under her palm, making her squeal and grin.

"So... Does this mean I'm gonna be an aunt?" she asks, hope shining in her eyes.

"Of course," Chris assures her, earning another squeal from her. "Baby, you look tired though, I think this is enough excitement for now, hmm?"

His murmured words are like a lifeline. Already the day has caught up to me and with the added emotions, I want nothing more than a nap.

"Sorry guys, but it has been a busy day," I admit. As if my body wants to put in its two cents, I struggle to suppress a yawn.

"Nothing to apologize for," Hale dismisses with a smile. "The impromptu lunch was a lovely bonus, but we can continue at dinner, assuming you're still up for it?"

"I look forward to it," I agree, flashing him a thankful smile.

Chris stands up and holds out a hand for me which I gladly accept. With me tucked snuggly into his side, we take our leave and head back to our room.

The silence that greets us in our suite is practically magical. While Chris locks the door, I flop on the bed, not even taking my feet up off the ground. I drag the corner of the comforter over me and surrender to my exhaustion, closing my eyes.

Chris chuckles, tugging the blanket over me more and his footsteps retreat. Just as I drift off, I feel Chris once more as he brushes my hair away from my forehead.

"I didn't lose you already, did I little one?" he teases.

"Well, you could join me," I mumble back, not even opening my eyes.

"Tempting," he murmurs. "But I had something else in mind."

Having piqued my interest, I open my eyes and see him smiling down at me, bare-chested in just joggers. I arch my brow and prop myself up on my elbows as I take in the delicious sight in front of me.