12 Sugar

A/N
***TRIGGER WARNING***
Discussion of sexual assault, please skip if needed,
you can always inbox me for the coles notes.

Chris

"Baby, we need to talk..." I whisper, dreading the conversation.

Jess scowls and smacks my arm as she glares down at me. "What the hell Chris!?" she snaps, fire dancing in her eyes. "We've talked about this!"

"I know baby," I say, reaching out for her hand. "But this is different..."

Her eyes widen and the fire recedes as the gravity of the situation hits her. "What is it?" she whispers.

"I think you should take a seat princess," Derek says as he pulls up a chair behind her. Mack and Nell stop their conversation and silently watch from the couch.

Jess reluctantly takes a seat, her keen golden-brown gaze jumping from me to Derek then back again. My gut twists painfully, knowing the damage I'm about to inflict.

"Just tell me," she orders as she straightens in her seat.

I take both of her hands in mine and move my chair so close to hers that our knees touch. There's a small comfort, feeling the sparks dancing full strength between our skin once more, assuring me of her good health.

"I promised to be honest and not hide anything from you," I start. Concern bordering on fear feeds back through the bond, shaking my resolve.

'Rip the bandaid off brother,' Derek urges.

"The day you were attacked and I stayed behind... There was a reason," I admit. "There was something wrong in town."

I can practically see her mind racing as she considers all the possibilities. "How bad?" she whispers, her eyes searching mine.

"Very." I take a deep breath, knowing this is the point of no return. Cyrus' disapproval floods me, he doesn't think she should be told, but all he wants is to protect her.

"How many are hurt?" she asks, dread lacing her words.

I shake my head, feeling pride at how big her heart is.

Here I am about to shake her world and all she can think about is everyone else.

"It's not like that," I assure her. "Right after you left we caught two infiltrators... one killed herself to keep from being captured, the other is locked up."

Jess tilts her head and lifts a hand thoughtfully to her chin as her brows tightly knit. "But that's good, isn't it? You caught them before they could cause harm... Is that why security is increased?"

"Mmhmm," I murmur, proud she noticed.

"Then I don't understand?" Once more she scans the room, looking for answers and finding none.

"He's being... difficult," Derek adds, thankfully not going into much detail.

"Isn't that kind of your thing?" Jess counters, making his face fall. "I didn't mean it like that, just that information and secrets are kind of Guardians stock and trade right?"

"They are," Mack admits. "But he's carrying a secret that he's willing to die for."

Jess shakes her head, frustration flashing in her eyes. "I don't understand. You caught him before he hurt anyone?"

"It's not that simple," I cut in, feeling her emotions feeding back through the bond.

She stands suddenly, the fire once more dancing in her eyes as she glares around the room. "So tell me! You're walking circles around me and it's just making it worse!"