35 What Could Go Wrong?

Start from the beginning

I follow his gaze to the chiselled octagonal hole in the center of the room, waiting for the capstone. Already, the roof has been repaired, so, after this, the construction will be cosmetic.

"And your men are okay with this?" I ask, raising a brow.

"Hell, none have ever seen it, so it's new to us," he admits, shaking his head. "But if you say it's safe, then it's safe. Besides, that stone weighs a ton, not really meant to be finessed in the front door."

I motion for him to lead the way and he takes the hint, heading for the front door. Outside Sasha and Mira talk as they look at the hulking stone. Willow mills about nearby while Kane and Nex watch.

"You sure about this, big boy?" Mira asks, flashing a wary look at the nearby crew.

"Are you?" I counter. Mira just holds my gaze, bordering on saying more but her sister cuts in.

"She's sure, don't shake her nerve." Sasha pulls off her glove and walks to the far side of the stone and clears a spot in the snow. Satisfied she squats down and drags her finger in the dirt, drawing a symbol as she mumbles to herself.

The ground rumbles slightly as a mound begins to rise. Inch by inch it grows until it reaches over six feet. Gasps and mumbles sound from the crew as they watch the display with wide eyes.

"As you wish," Mira drawls, walking to the opposite side of the stone from her sister and doing the same.

Before long the women are standing in front of two earthen figures. Mira's golem is more stout and lumpy whereas Sasha's is more refined and sculpted.

"Show off," Mira grumbles at her sister, who just laughs.

"Eeepppp!" Willow squeals, racing over to Mira and her golem.

"Willow, wait! Jezus get away from that thing!" Kane bellows as she crashes into the golem, hugging its waist. "What the fuck are you doing?!"

"Relax, it won't hurt her," Mira chides as Kane stops in arms' reach of them.

"Forgive me if I don't share your ease... The last one tried very hard to kill me!" His gaze never leaves Willow as the beast returns her hug.

"See?" Mira teases.

"I swear to Christ I'm gonna die one day saving her from petting something she shouldn't," he groans, running his hand through his hair. Kane shakes his head but his shoulders relax slightly as he watches them closely.

Mira laughs and nods. "Probably, but what an exciting life in the meantime." Kane laughs at her joke but doesn't dispute it. "Come on big guy, time to go to work."

The golem joins the other at the stone and lifts it with little effort before moving it towards the door. The entire crew and all gathered onlookers are silent, watching the golems work.

"Goddess above," the lead Mason breathes. "How can I get one of those?!"

I laugh at his hungry grin. "Befriend a witch," I reply with a shrug.

He's gone a moment later, directing the golems to position the stone just right. With a final nod of approval, they drop the stone the last few inches, shaking the entire floor as it snaps into place.

"It feels like the whole place is coming down," Ethan calls, walking over to me. "Should have warned us."

"Sorry bud." I hold out my arm and he happily slips beside me letting my arm rest on his shoulders. "So what do you think?"

Ethan is quiet for a moment as he assesses the room. "They're cool, but a little scary..."

"They're safe, I meant the construction," I say with a laugh, guiding him to the now vacated center. Having done their task, the golems are back outside.