𝘍𝘰𝘶𝘳: 𝘕𝘦𝘸 𝘠𝘰𝘳𝘬

"𝙸 𝚕𝚘𝚘𝚔 𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚠𝚒𝚗𝚍𝚘𝚠 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝙸 𝚜𝚎𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚕𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚔𝚢𝚕𝚒𝚗𝚎 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚙𝚎𝚘𝚙𝚕𝚎 𝚘𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚝𝚛𝚎𝚎𝚝 𝚛𝚞𝚜𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚊𝚛𝚘𝚞𝚗𝚍 𝚕𝚘𝚘𝚔𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚊𝚌𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗, 𝚕𝚘𝚟𝚎, 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚕𝚍'𝚜 𝚐𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚜𝚝 𝚌𝚑𝚘𝚌𝚘𝚕𝚊𝚝𝚎 𝚌𝚑𝚒𝚙 𝚌𝚘𝚘𝚔𝚒𝚎, 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚖𝚢 𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚍𝚘𝚎𝚜 𝚊 𝚕𝚒𝚝𝚝𝚕𝚎 𝚍𝚊𝚗𝚌𝚎." —𝙉𝙤𝙧𝙖 𝙀𝙥𝙝𝙧𝙤𝙣

"Mom, have you ever been to New York?" Amber asked her mother that night. It was more one year ago. Before everything that happened. Before the cancer. Before Amber knew where she was going to end up at. 

Natalie took a second, trying to remember. She hadn't really left San Francisco, until she moved to Seattle of course. She never liked leaving her daughter alone more than the hours she was working. Even if  she had many opportunities to. "I did, once, for a case. But I can't say that I've really seen it." Natalie told her daughter as she held her cup of coffee tightly between her hands. She liked the warmth of it. 

"I really want to get in NYU, you know? " Amber shared her dreams with her mother, something she liked doing. "But New York scares me. I don't know why. It's too big and everyone loves it, what if I end up hating it?"

"Hate the big city that gives you endless opportunities? I don't think so honey." Natalie shook her head. "This isn't about New York, this is about you being scared because it's time for you to live alone. You're growing up. And trust me I hate it too." Natalie told her. It wasn't like she couldn't figure out her daughter after 18 years. 

"There's that too." Amber chuckled awkwardly. "I am just not sure if I am going to make it. I am known for making mistakes and... You're always there to help me."

"I'll still be there Amby." Natalie reached for her daughter's hand. "I'll always be there. You think just because you'll be twelve hours away, it's going to stop me from being your mother? I don't think so." 

"Well, you're full of lies mom, aren't you?" Amber scoffed to herself. She curled her knees against her chest and hugged them. She was sitting against the window, just staring at the view. And Mark's old apartment had a really nice view. She couldn't expect anything else from the plastic surgeon.