Chapter 23

Chapter 23 

Relations between Viktor and Stefan did not improve over the next week. Stefan tried a couple of times to reopen the conversation with his father but Viktor simply refused to discuss the subject, as far as he was concerned it was closed. The sooner Stefan put it all behind him, the sooner they could get back to normal and Stefan could concentrate on his career instead of his personal life. 

Viktor watched the growing friendship between his son and Nick Connell with dismay. Hadn't Stefan listened to a word he'd said? It seemed they were out together somewhere in public, a bar or a restaurant, every night that they were off duty. People would start to talk soon, if they hadn't already. One night he walked into the Yellow Hat, the better of his hotel's three restaurants, only to see Stefan already there, seated at a table with Liam Connell on one side and Nick on the other. It had felt like a deliberate slap in the face and he had turned and walked out immediately. 

Stefan had his back to the door and didn't notice but Liam saw the whole thing. He smiled to himself. If Viktor wanted to keep any sort of relationship going with Stefan he was going to have to accept the fact that he, and Nick especially, were now his friends. Accept it or choke on it, he thought vindictively.  

He knew he and Viktor could never be friendly but he was prepared to be polite, if Viktor was prepared to accept their sons' friendship. He was fairly certain Viktor would never be remotely pleased about the relationship but if he really loved Stefan, perhaps he'd be able to tolerate it, for his son's sake. Maybe. 

After dinner, Stefan and Nick walked side by side through the dimly lit streets, back to Stefan's apartment. It was on the way to Nick's own apartment, a few blocks further on so they usually ended up walking the first part of the journey together and saying 'goodnight' outside Stefan's door. Stefan planned to invite him in, again, for a night cap, although so far Nick had refused each invitation to come inside.  

"Maybe another time," was his usual smiling reply, as he left Stefan standing there. 

Only three more weeks, thought Stefan with a mixture of excitement and impatience. He was now pretty sure he was bi. Although he didn't exactly fancy any other men, he felt he was definitely attracted to Nick. At night he thought constantly about kissing him and getting him naked, intensely curious about how it would feel and what would happen next.  

The night of their first date, after he had spent an hour letting off steam about Viktor, Nick had suggested they should keep their interest in each other quiet until they decided where they were going with their relationship. He had been quick to protest, insisting he wasn't ashamed of what they were doing. They had argued for a while but in the end he had agreed with Nick that they should at least keep their personal relationship out of the station. They would keep their working relationship strictly professional, it was only fair to themselves and the other men. Apart from anything else, patrol work frequently required everyone to be totally focussed on the job, they couldn't afford to be distracted, not when other people's lives and safety were at stake. 

Once again they were outside Stefan's door. "Would you like to come in for a drink? Or a coffee?" asked Stefan hopefully. 

For the first time, Nick allowed the self control he was imposing to slip a fraction. "I don't think that would be wise," he said in a low voice. He stepped back, putting a safe distance between them. 

"Why not?" Stefan's voice sounded scratchy. He held his breath. Was it possible he could persuade Nick to change his mind this time? 

"Because it's too soon," replied Nick, still softly, lifting a hand to brush a lock of hair back from Stefan's forehead.  

"Is it?" Stefan could hardly get the words out. For some reason his throat had dried up. 

Nick's gaze raked Stefan up and down, flicking over every centimetre of his body. For the first time, he allowed a little heat to show. He came closer, very slowly until Stefan just felt the lightest touch as their bodies met, felt the warmth on chest and stomach. His breath caught in his throat. He was sure Nick was going to kiss him, finally. He shut his eyes. He heard the whisper of the soft material of Nick's shirt brushing against his stiff dinner jacket. His lips parted a tiny bit, he was so ready for this. He felt Nick's breath on his cheek but he didn't kiss him as he was hoping. Instead, Nick moved forward infinitesimally so that their hips were touching, pressing against each other lightly. Slight as the contact was, he could feel the outline of Nick's erection pushing against his groin for a heart stopping moment. He could feel his own, jutting up in answer. 

He wasn't the only one who noticed. 

Nick pulled back, his eyes widening. He had been watching for Stefan's reaction, waiting to see if he would be freaked out when he felt Nick rubbing against him, but he hadn't expected him to be aroused. God he wanted to do that again, right now, but harder. 

He fought a brief internal battle before reluctantly smiling. "Now I really, really want to come in with you, but I said a month and I meant it. When we make love, you're going to be a hundred per cent certain that I'm what you want." 

Stefan was breathing hard. "I'm pretty certain right now." 

Nick grinned but didn't come any closer. "Believe me, I'm counting on it!" He took another step back, "I should probably apologise for that but I'm not going to. I'll see you tomorrow." 

"Prick teaser!" Stefan called after him as softly as he could, half smiling, hoping to provoke him into returning and finishing what he had started.  

Nick just laughed.  

XXX 

Viktor Rice drummed the fingers of his right hand on the desk in his hotel room, staring fixedly into space. Stefan was backing him into a corner. He was trying hard to lay the blame where it belonged but he wished Stefan would show some more self control. Still, once he got rid of Nick Connell, removed that corrupting influence, he was certain he'd return to his normal self. It was a pity he couldn't see his way clear to disposing of Liam at the same time, but he couldn't, at least not yet. Probably he was worrying unnecessarily, once Nick went, Liam would hardly linger.