Chapter 10

Chapter 10 

When the dust cleared, all they could see was a pile of rocks blocking the tunnel. A boot stuck out, motionless. 

"Quick, let's get those rocks moved," ordered Connell in between coughs.  

Forrester shook his head doubtfully. "I don't think they've got much of a chance," he said, but stepped forward anyway to help. The patrol men soon formed a chain, moving rocks out and laying them along the side of the tunnel. It was difficult reaching the rocks at the top of the heap but no-one wanted to be responsible for standing on one of the victims beneath, the last thing they needed was any more weight. 

Forrester kept a cautious eye on the roof in case of a further collapse. 

Ser Flannery arrived with two other helpers a few minutes later and sized up the situation with one glance. 

"Morris, zip back to the resort and get a carrycart would you?" he asked. "And bring a medic, just in case." 

The older of the two men nodded and disappeared in the hovercar as Flannery and his assistant went forward quickly to help with the human chain.  

They were making steady progress although it was impossible to avoid the occasional interruption caused by minor landslides as they tackled the unstable mass. Although they were working as fast as they could it had to be a good ten or fifteen minutes since the rockfall, thought Flannery. He'd had some personal experience assisting at a mining accident and was doubtful that anyone could still be alive, even if he had survived the fall, it was unlikely there was enough air trapped amongst the rubble to keep a man breathing. If anyone else shared his misgivings however, they kept it to themselves. Everyone kept working as fast as they could. 

Eventually they uncovered the first body.  

The welcome appearance of the carrycart sped things up but only to reveal two more men who the medic was able to pronounce dead, even before they had been completely uncovered. The rescue party paused for a moment to stretch and have a drink of water. 

"I think we have everyone who was caught in the rock fall," announced Connell grimly. "But the Captain's back in there somewhere. We have to clear this so we can get through." He peered back into the tunnel but the way was still blocked by rubble. He thought he could see a space between the new roof and the top of the heap but he couldn't tell how far it extended. 

Now that they weren't trying to save injured men, the team was able to work much faster. As soon as all three bodies were extracted and laid carefully out in the front cave, Connell had another look at the rock fall. 

"I think there's a way through now, over the top," he said to Forrester and Flannery. "I'm the smallest so I'll try and climb through. I'd like to have a look around for the Captain, just check if they left him somewhere nearby. Don't worry," he jumped in before Flannery could object. "I'll mark my trail as I go. Don't want two of us lost down there do we?" 

Feeling a little ghoulish, he took a helmet from one of the bodies, checked that its beam was still working, and fastened it to his own head. He borrowed Forrester's unopened first aid kit and another water bag, then scrambled up over the remaining rocks and began to clamber and wriggle through the gap. After a few uncomfortable minutes he scrambled down the other side and stood up, balancing uneasily on a carpet of rubble which had rolled into the tunnel. 

"It's about two metres through," he called back. He took out a small canister of luminescent marker and sprayed a small spot on the wall to his right at waist height. "I'm heading down the tunnel now," he spoke into his wristcom. Every three metres he sprayed another small mark, always on his right.