Dark Times

*Scarlett’s POV*

I wanted to be a normal girl. With a normal life. With normal friends. I had all of that. Until April 13th.

It was a Saturday. A nice sunny, Saturday with a warm, light breeze. My mom and I were sitting outside in lawn chairs on our wooden deck. It was a tradition for every Saturday. Eat lunch on the deck and read. We loved reading. Every chance we got we would read. My mom had made ham and cheese sandwiches for lunch today. I nibbled on mine as I read “The Last Song” by Nicholas Sparks. I loved his books. I was kind of a sucker for summer romance books too. My mom set her book down, and walked over to me. She stood behind my chair and began playing with my dark brown waves. 

She sighed. She always played with my hair was something was wrong. I closed my book and turned around. I slid my pink sunglasses on top of my head and looked at my mom.

“Whats wrong mom?” I asked. She sighed again and looked down at her feet.

“Oh nothing.” She said shaking her head.

“Mom, I know something’s wrong. Tell me. Please.” I said.

“It’s just, work is so stressful right now. We have big orders that are being shipped in and some that need to be shipped out.” She said as she began to twirl my hair. My mom was an accountant for a big company in Liverpool, England. Her boss really relied on her to take charge and make things run smoothly in the company.

“Mom.” I said. She looked up at me. “Go to work. It’ll make you feel better knowing that you got more work done.”

“No. No. My Saturdays are meant to spend with you. They always have been.” She said smiling at me as she ran her hand down my cheek. “God Scar, you look just like your dad. Bright blue eyes and dark brown waves.” I brought my hand up to hesr and held her hand.

“Go mom. I understand. I don’t mind you going. I just want you to be happy and stress-free.” I said. She smiled.

“Are you sure Scar? I don’t want to leave you here alone on a Saturday.”

“Of course mom. Just go.” I said back.

“Ok sweetie.” She said. She kissed my check and then pulled me in for a hug. I nuzzled my head in the crook of her neck. I loved her hugs. They were so warm and comforting. She was also a couple inches taller than me, which made it even more comforting to have her long arms wrap around me.

My mom was such a beautiful woman. I was so proud to be her daughter. She had long black hair that ran down her back. She had very long legs and arms. She was about 5”8’, which is pretty tall for a woman. Or so people have told me. And she was so skinny. She was perfect. She had brown eyes that warmed your heart every time you looked at them. And she had such a soft, soothing voice.

She had me when she was 25. She been had married to my dad for 2 years. They were high school sweethearts. They got divorced when my mom was 4 months pregnant. My dad had gotten his first acting job when I was 6 months old. My mother didn’t want me to get caught in my dad’s shadow of fame, so she gained full custody of me. I guess my dad didn’t care about me because he never fought back to at least have some custody. I don’t really care because if he ditched my mom, I didn’t want anything to do with him. Who in the world would leave my mom?! She puts everyone first and know how to take care of ANY situation. She’s great with people too! I guess that’s why she has such a stressful job, because she can deal with any type of people. Annoying people. Over achieving people. Big ego headed people. ANYONE!

My mom and I grabbed our books and plates and walked into the kitchen. She went back to her room to put more “work” clothes on. I went into the living room and turned on the TV. My mom walked out a couple minutes later. She had pulled her long, black hair into a bun, with her band hanging to the side. She had her black-framed glasses on too.