Chapter 2

~Diana~

As I head back towards where Bucky is I start to think of all the possibilities of Steve enlisting again. If he was caught he could go to jail. If he was somehow able to get in how would he survive? I was so caught up in my thoughts I didn't even realize I had reached Bucky.

"Hey, how did it go?" Bucky asks pulling me out of my thoughts. He looks at me concerned when he notices how deep in thought I am. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah let's get those sodas and I'll tell you how it went." With a small smirk on his face, he puts his arm out for me to grab as we start to walk towards the malt shop.

"So how was it? From him not being here it probably didn't go very well." Bucky says as he pulls my chair out for me and orders a chocolate soda with two straws for us to share.

"Yeah, I don't think what I said got through that thick skull of his. I tried to explain why I didn't want him to go but he won't listen. He thinks it's all because of how weak he is but it's not. I just don't want to lose him, we've already lost so much I can't lose anything more. It's not just him though remember how upset I was when you told me you were drafted? I know you didn't have a choice but I'm still so afraid that I'll lose you too." We sit in silence for a little while sipping on our chocolate soda.

"I can't promise I'll come back, but I can promise I'll try my damnedest to come home to you," Bucky says after a moment of silence. He kisses my forehead. "Hey, why don't we go dancing? You keep bugging me about it, so since it's my last night why don't we go."

I smile. "I'd love to go dancing with you." Bucky stands up pulls my chair out and puts his arm out, I take it.

"Let's go they're playing our song," Bucky says pulling my hand excitedly.

"How do you know? Maybe they're playing someone else's song."I laugh as we leave the malt shop and head to the Stork Club.

When we get there it turns out that our song was actually playing. "Night and Day" by Cole Porter, mine and Bucky's song. Ever since the night we met in 1939.

June 14, 1939
I'm sitting down at a table watching as everyone's dancing and having fun. I would be having fun if my date cared to show up. Here I was a 20-year-old woman just sitting at the Stork Club. How stupid I look right now. I'm all dressed up. I even have my nicest dress on and all I'm doing is sitting here. I should be out dancing with my date. I really wanted to go home but if Steve or Dad found out I walked home they'd kill me. Everyone knows a lady never walks home by herself. I could call home but that'd be too embarrassing. I'd have to find another way home. No one I know is here and I don't see any guys by themselves. My favorite song comes on. Oh, how I wish I could dance with someone to this song.

"Excuse me, Miss." I look up to see a tall handsome man. "May I have this dance?" He holds out his hand.

"Yes, you may." I grab his hand as he helps me up leading me towards the dance floor. He spins me around and pulls me to his chest.

"May I ask why such a beautiful doll like you is sitting all by herself on a beautiful night like this?" He asks me in a calm tone.

"My date stood me up," I respond quietly, embarrassed, as I look down.

"I can't see why anyone would do that." He lifts my chin up so that I look at him. "What's your name doll?"

"Diana. May I ask what your name is?" I blush at the nickname he keeps calling me. No one has ever called me that.

"You can call me Bucky." He smiles spinning me one last time before the song ends. We dance for a couple of songs more after those songs Bucky takes me home.

"How about we go dancing again." Bucky has a hopeful look on his face.

"I'd love to go dancing with you again." I smile as I get on my tippy toes to kiss his cheek. Bucky smiles.

"A week from now. Saturday 8:00 sharp don't be late. Good night." He kisses my hand before turning to leave.

"Good night," I call after him.

End of flashback.

Bucky turns on his heels to look at me placing his hand out. "Excuse me, Miss. May I have this dance?"

"Yes, you may." I grab his hand smiling at the memory of the first time we met. I laugh as he pulls me to the dance floor.

"I told you they were playing our song." Bucky spins me carefully before pulling me to his chest.

"Did you plan this or something?" We slowly dance around the room.

"Nope, just pure luck. I guess I'm just lucky like that now, aren't I? I've got the perfect girl dancing with me to the perfect song on the perfect night it couldn't get more perfect than this even if I tried." Bucky smiles down at me. Making me blush.

I choose not to say anything more for the moment. I want to make this moment last for as long as possible. I place my head on his chest as we slowly dance. He was right it was the perfect night. Too bad it will be the last perfect night.

"Hey, what's wrong doll?" Sensing my worry Bucky lifts my head carefully to look at him. "Why so blue doll? Are you unhappy with our dance? Would you rather we do something else?" Bucky begins to worry.

"No this is perfect just like you said." I love how he always worries that I'm not happy. "It truly is I'm just sad that this is our last night together."

"No please don't think like that. It's not our last night. I promise you. This is the first night of many. When the war ends I'll come back and do you want to know what the first thing I'll do is?"

"What?" I let out a small giggle as he spun me again at the end of the song.

"Well first I'm going to kiss you but right after that we're going to go dancing and then we'll go to the malt shop to get chocolate sodas we'll have a full day of doing all the things we love." He gives me a big hug. "I promise doll."