9 - Promise / Body

CHAPTER PLAYLIST ࿐ྂ

» [Small Worlds - Mac Miller] «
       0:03 〇───── 2:39
   ◃◃   ⅠⅠ   ▹▹  

» [Kids - Current Joys] «
        0:03 〇───── 2:39   
   ◃◃   ⅠⅠ   ▹▹  

TW: Mentions of a possible eating disorder

WIRT'S POV:
"You can tell me, can't you?" I begged, desperate to know what has been chipping away at Dipper's sanity. He had obviously not been sleeping well, given the deep eye-bags that stretched all across his cheekbones. I just wanted to help him.

"I don't... think I can." Dipper sighed. "It's really intense stuff and honestly for the sake of your protection... it's just better to not know. Once you involve yourself in this kind of situation, it doesn't really leave you."

"Hey, I can handle it." I scoffed. It kind of hurt that Dipper was talking down to me.

"...I'll tell you... if things start acting up. Right now, there's just a possibility something could happen." Dipper sighed, the most distraught I'd ever seen him.

"I want you to be able to talk to me, Dipper."

"I know Wirt, and I lov-" he cut himself off and started over. "Appreciate you for being there for me and I don't want you to have to have eyebags like these." Dipper chuckled as he gestured to the brown arches that had been imprinted into his undereyes. I felt horrible for him; he had obviously been dealing with a lot.

I laughed. "Okay, okay. But please, promise me you'll tell me if there's anything I can do to help, okay?" I stuck out my pinky.

"I promise." He said as we interlocked pinkies. "Hey," spoke Dipper suddenly, "would you want to have a sleepover?"

"I- I would love to! As long as I can actually get you to sleep, though.." I elbowed Dipper teasingly.

"Alright, alright" He said as we ran upstairs to his room.

MABEL'S POV:
"Mabel, try this on!" Candy said as she excitably handed me a plaid pink skirt.

"Oh my god, you guys." Grenda whispered. "Look at the cute boy at 3 o' clock."

Candy and I turned our shoulders to see a tall brunette with freckles splattered all over his face. He had definite blue eyes, but the more green-blue kind as opposed to light.

"Ooooo~" Candy snickered as the boy walked into the store.

He scanned the aisles carefully, as if he was looking for something in particular. He was very attractive.

I shook my head to exit my thoughts and grabbed the skirt Candy wanted me to try on. I smiled and headed into the fitting room.

I stared into the mirror as I slid down my gray skirt, exposing my stomach in the process.

Growing up, I was always pretty confident in myself. I mean, had no reason to be uncomfortable with my body. Talking to boys was never hard to me, but once I turned thirteen I noticed a shift in my self-confidence.

I felt myself comparing myself to others, something I never did.

Now I'm not sure of myself.

Other girls have pearly white teeth and crystal smiles, and I still have my braces.

I know I'm not "overweight" but I'm not what is perceived as "skinny"... my stomach has always hung out a little.

That's my least favorite part of myself. But I would never let anyone know.

So I slid the skirt on, and went out to show Candy and Grenda.

~

After leaving the mall, Grenda and I decided to sleepover Candy's. She said we could watch a romance movies, tell secrets, and prank call people for fun. I was excited. I always was down to do dumb things with my friends.

When we get inside, Candy's parents welcome us and tell us to make ourselves at home. I slide off my shoes and put them to the side of their front door.

We all rush upstairs to Candy's room. It was painted a teal color and the walls were covered in boy band posters and polaroids — very Candy. Her twin bed sat pushed against the wall farthest from the door, with a little window sat above it. Her blankets were bright pink and insanely fluffy, but you would barely be able to tell the color due to the amount of stuffed animals taking up the surface area.

We sat ourselves on the floor and started chatting — something we could always do for hours without fail. We painted our nails, prank called the haunted convenience store, and watched a so-so movie.

We then moved into a session of "Truth or Dare." We rock-paper-scissored for who had to go first, and it was, of course, me.

"Truth or Dare, Mabel!" Candy cheered.

"Hmm, truth!" I smiled.

Candy and Grenda made eye contact and smiled devilishly. "Do you have a crush on anyone?" they said in unison.

"Oh, uhm— well—" I tripped over my words, terrified of that question for the first time in my life. "I don't know if I have a crush." I gulp. "Well, I might... but I'm scared to be sure about it."

"Oh my God! Who is it!" Grenda begged.

"That wasn't in the question!" I whined, trying not to expose my secret.

But I knew who I liked.

"C'mon, what's his initials!" Candy shook me by my shoulders.

"Uhm, I didn't say it's a-" I trailed off, lowering my voice down to a whisper. "I don't like a boy."

"Oh, Mabel." Grenda replied. "That's perfectly okay."

"Yeah! We totally do not care who you love!" Candy chimed in with a sing-song tone.

"What if I told you I liked Pacifica Northwest?"

And then their jaws dropped.

A/N: Hi! I'm so sorry for being like... not active at all for a while. I'm going to try my best to write more consistently. I've loved the activity I've been seeing, even in my absence. You all are so supportive and adorable. Thank you so much for voting and reading!

Love, Robin.