4 - Tee Talk

࿐ྂ CHAPTER PLAYLIST ࿐ྂ

» [$10 - Good Morning] «
0:03 〇───── 2:39 ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹

» [Tides - Men I Trust] «
0:02 〇───── 2:53 ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹

CHAPTER 4 - TEE TALK °•*

DIPPER'S POV:
"Well, he's trying to avoid the cops." I sighed. My Grunkle Stan was always up to some mischievous act that was always somewhat illegal. It was never anything that was life threatening, it was all really just things that challenged the government.

"Avoid the cops?" Wirt's eyes widened as he took a step back.

"No, no — not for anything bad." I reassured him.

"Then what is he in trouble for?" Wirt titled his head.

"Well, a few days ago he got in trouble for teaching a bear how to drive..."

"You know, if you told me that before I went to The Unknown I would've called you crazy, but that's honestly plausible to me now." Wirt laughed. His laugh was gentle and sincere — it almost made me want to laugh with him.

I wanted to ask him deeper questions, especially considering we both realized we're way too awkward for small talk. It was nice having someone that understood the little things I got anxious about. Mabel was fun to be around, but she never understood that aspect of me. I considered asking him if he liked any girls, but I didn't want to make things weird.

"You know, we can leave golf for Mabel and Greg. Do you want to just, you know, get an ice cream or something?" He asked.

I could feel myself blush. Why was I— blushing? I would get red sometimes when I was embarrassed, which was quite a common occurrence... but this was a blush that only someone like Wendy had made me feel. I suddenly realized I had been standing there blushing for a bit too long, so I forced myself into speech.

"T-That sounds great! I love iced cream!" I blurt out, realizing what I just said as I tried to hide in my hat.

"Me too!" Wirt giggled, not even acknowledging my mistake. He made me feel so at home — like he wouldn't judge me like Wendy did. I always felt like I had to be someone I wasn't around her.

We both walked up to the ice cream stand. When we got there, Wirt looked at the menu perplexed. He looked confused and anxious. "I never know what flavor to pick," he sighed, "it's such a commitment and I'm so scared that I won't like it.."

"Same!" I laughed in response. "It's so scary, because vanilla is, like, universally good but what if they have a really good mint chocolate chip or something but it's always hit or miss and—" I cut myself off, embarrassed by my rambling.

"Dipper, I— I honestly think I could trust you with my life." He said suddenly.

I felt a wave of heat in my cheeks and smiled. I wasn't used to being complimented like this at all. "You too, I could listen to you all day..." I trailed off, realizing I kind of was flirting. Me. Flirting? That was weird of me to do; I didn't ever expect myself to say something that bold.

Did I even like Wirt that way? He gave me butterflies when I was around him, but I would always get that kind of feeling around people (but it was mostly just social anxiety.) I thought about it for a moment and then remembered the several amount of times I had already blushed in the one day I'd known him. Needless to say, I definitely had feelings for him.

"You'd really listen to me ramble all day?" Wirt looked at me in awe. His eyes had such life in it, like he had a million words to say.

"Of course— you're so interesting! I want to hear about you... your life story."

Wirt looked honored. "Well, I could tell you about my pathetic love life..." Wirt sighed.

"What do you mean? I assumed you'd have had a bunch girlfriends." I questioned him immediately, stepping back a little in confusion.

Wirt turned red at that, and then looked at me funny. "What do you mean by that?"

"You're just so different. You stand out... you're so genuine." I admitted.

"Thank you.." Wirt looked at me and then quickly looked away once we made eye contact. "I mean, I had a girlfriend. Her name was Sara. Everything was fine between us, I guess... nothing really special. I liked her for a while, or so I thought but— when we got together it just didn't feel right? And when I had told her about The Unknown she didn't believe me..." Wirt trailed off with a distraught look on his face. He stared down at the pavement.

There was a beat of silence where you could hear Mabel scream, "HOLE IN ONE! AND I DIDN'T CHEAT THIS TIME!"

"I'm so sorry, Wirt..." I frowned.

"No it's okay! I promise. I'm learning a lot more about myself now... like who I'm interested in." Wirt reassured me.

"Well, what's your type?" I immediately asked him, cutting to the chase.

Wirt cleared his throat. "I like someone who's smart... well-read, you know? Someone that will laugh at my stupid jokes and listen to me ramble. Somebody that understands my experiences with The Unknown. But that's generic. I really like fluffy hair on boys— I mean— girls." Wirt cleared his throat. "I also like people who read.. but how about you?"

"Did Wirt just say he liked boys? No way he just accidentally said that... it seemed like he meant it." I thought to myself.

I shook my head and replied to his question. "I like people who understand me... who have the same desire to uncover mysteries..."

"That's broad." Wirt raised an eyebrow.

"Well, I don't know... I haven't had a partner before." I admitted.

"I think it's most important to wait until you have the right one." Wirt reassured me politely.

"Agreed..." I trailed off.

MABEL'S POV:
"ANOTHER HOLE IN ONE! TAKE THAT, LOSER!" I shouted in Wendy's face.

"Hey, I'm trying my best here... and you're probably just cheating by befriending the golfballs again anyways." She sighed as she placed her golf club down, "But at least Pacifica isn't here."

Almost instantly, a silver limousine pulled up outside of the golf course. I dropped my golf club and sighed. "Oh, mutton."