5 - Battle of the Golf Balls

࿐ྂ CHAPTER PLAYLIST ࿐ྂ

» [Yeah Yeah - Jaden] «
        0:03 〇───── 2:39       ◃◃   ⅠⅠ   ▹▹  

» [The Spins - Mac Miller] «
        0:02 〇───── 2:53       ◃◃   ⅠⅠ   ▹▹  

CHAPTER 5 - BATTLE OF THE GOLF BALLS °•*

MABEL'S POV:
"Oh, mutton." I sighed, watching Pacifica Northwest reluctantly step out of her family's limousine.

After Dipper and I visited the Northwest Mansion and saved their house from ghosts, Pacifica had grown closer to us. She had rebelled against her snobby parents, and had shown a more genuine side to her.

I always knew she was a good person deep down, she was just born into a bad situation. She was constantly pushed around by her parents and told to have all of these terrible beliefs that she didn't want to have. Luckily, she confided with me as time went on!

I got to learn all her drama about boys, even though it made me upset. As Pacifica got nicer towards me, the more I developed feelings for her. I didn't have the confidence to tell her because I never thought she'd ever feel the same. So I always kept it a secret.

Though we had grown close and bonded, our mini golf rivalry never lessened. After Dipper and I cheated at mini golf, she had been nagging me for a rematch constantly. Little did I know that our rematch would be this very day.

"Hey, Mabel!" Pacifica called as she ran to me in her golf shoes. "Soos! Wendy!" She hugged the both of them.

"Nice to see you, dude!" Soos smiled.

"Who's this?" Pacifica asked as she got down on her knees to look Greg in the eyes.

"I'm Greg! And this is Jason Funderburker." He gestured to his frog and shoved it towards Pacifica.

She flinched a bit, and took a step backwards. Though she was getting better at being friendly, she still got grossed out by many things. "How nice!" She remarked as she smiled through her terror. "Great to meet you!"

Greg smiled at her warmly and then went off with Soos and Wendy to play some golf for fun. I looked around for Wirt and Dipper but couldn't find them anywhere. I'd be sure to look for them later — right then, I had a golf match to win.

"Hey, Mabel! Finally we can play a fair game of mini golf!" Pacifica smirked. She had a specific look in her eyes. It wasn't cruel, but it felt like a teasing look, and it was rather mysterious. I couldn't tell her intentions, but I just assumed she was excited to win.

"I know you're gonna win, Pacifica.." I sighed, giving her puppy eyes.

"Oh, Mabel, no-"

I cut her off and screamed, "SIKE!" as I ran to the first hole.

Pacifica caught up behind me and we began to play. We laughed and talked — it didn't feel like a competition; more just two friends bonding. Friends. I wished we could be more — usually I had no problem expressing my feelings to people... I loved expressing my feelings. I loved love! When I was interested in a guy I didn't hesitate to tell him or try to get him to like me by talking to him constantly until he would yell for me to leave him alone. I assumed people like that just couldn't handle my charm.

I took in a deep breath and looked over at Pacifica. I placed my golf ball and got ready to put. You got this, Mabel. And I swung. My golf ball initially drifted towards the right, away from the hole, but bounced off the siding with a clink — enough to get my golf ball right into the hole in one shot.

"Lucky break." Pacifica giggled teasingly.

"Yeah, right." I taunted.

Pacifia sighed and made brief eye contact with me. She shifted her glance somewhere else, as did I. I looked back over at her to see our eyes meet again. I felt my cheeks flush and turned around quickly and tried to find something to talk about. Uh, words, words— work?? Help Help Help. WHY NO WORDS HELP.

"So... balls... am I right?" I blurt out on a whim.

"Pardon me?" Pacifica replied awkwardly.

I shook my head and just decided to get the answers I wanted "Pacifica, I have a question for you."

"Yeah?" Pacifica titled her head to the side, and lifted an eyebrow.

"How do you get so many people to like you?" I asked, kind of embarrassed by myself — I was so used to feeling like everyone liked me, but I was slowly realizing it wasn't true.

"Oh, I guess my parents just know a lot of people, so I get a lot of friends that way...?" Pacifica trailed off, "I'm not quite close to them, but you know that."

"No, uhm, like, people to 'like-like' you..."

Pacifica stepped up to the next hole and put her golf club in place by the tee. "Uh, I don't think people really do 'like-like' me?"

"That's not true, Pacifica. I know plenty of people who would do anything to be with someone like you..."

"Mabel, you used to have so much confidence in yourself. Do you not think that people think that way of you?"

"Not necessarily..." I sighed.

"People most definitely do." Pacifica reassured me.

"What do you mean?"

A/N: I AM SO SORRY FOR LIKE,, DYING LOL 😭😭 I WILL UPDATE A LOT MORE FREQUENTLY — I HAD THE WORST FEW MONTHS